safety first!

Real world tips and tricks for the do-it-yourself ethusiast. Tools and parts that make life easy, and simple fabrication tips and tricks.
clem

safety first!

Post by clem »

Well here in Nova Scotia we have annual safety inspections, so I was doing some work to my '93 gmc such as replacing the idler arm bracket, when it fell off the bolt I had it resting on so I could grab the nut. The thing fell straight down on my safety glasses probably would've taken out my eye, if not killed me! So now I got this really bad black eye, but I can see. So please wear your safety glasses when working on your rigs :cool: :canada:
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
tekatlarge

Re: safety first!

Post by tekatlarge »

Hey Clem,

You actually admit to owning a 93 GMC? Which one? Truck or Van? 305 or 350?

I also have a 93 GMC G2500 Vandura... 350 4L60E.. It has a raised top. It is my daily transport as it hauls my wheelchair.. My GMC is also the most gutless van I have ever owned.
This van is so slow it can't even keep up with it's own shadow on a cloudy day!!!! Ha Ha Ha. Man that is slow.

Have you done the GMC sway bar fix on the front end? It replaces the mounting blocks for the sway bar for better alignment with the control arms.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
clem

Post by clem »

I just put new sway-bar link kit on, I think it was the original one on it! This is a piece of crap truck I traded a cavalier for, it has a 305 auto and no power, it handles like a bag of milk. :puke: I plan on running it into the ground then part it out. :cool:
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Oh what a bummer for you with the 305. My 350 is model L05 the most gutless V8 I have ever owned. The sway bar deal was the first thing I found out about. I had a bunch o banging clanging from the front end. There were no mounts left. I replaced them with the kit and it only made moderate changes to the noise?

The whole suspension is a piece of crap and my van feels like a loaf of gooey bread when you drive it down the road. I wish I had something better to haul the wheelchair in but a van is about all that works. I am going to put some decent shocks on it and then add vortec heads and intake and a throttle body off a 454. I am not looking for a hot rod just something that will go up and downhill and not break the bank doing it.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast