Product Review: Aeroquip

Real world tips and tricks for the do-it-yourself ethusiast. Tools and parts that make life easy, and simple fabrication tips and tricks.
Nobody

Product Review: Aeroquip

Post by Nobody »

Everytime I need a power steering line made, it's a nightmare. The hydraulic shops around here just aren't in the automotive business. In the past, I've had to settle with what they could do versus what I want.

This time, I didn't want to settle. I wanted the same connections at both ends. I had heard of Aeroquip, and knew that style fitting is what I was after. So I made my usual rounds to the local hydraulic shops...... but everytime I mentioned Aeroquip, they ran in the back room screaming like little girls!

The last shop I went to, they dug up an old aeroquip catalog and sent me packing. Thumbing through the catalog, I was surprised to see everything from brake lines and A/C lines to Power Steering and more. For the hose ends, they had 45's, 90's, straight, 180's and and a whole slew of adapters and bulkhead fittings.

So I decided to give the steel braided and reusable ends a try. I ordered up everything I needed from Summit. As always great service from Summit.... When I recieved my order, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Aeroquip stuff. This stuff is really nice! I expected to be fighting leaks with this stuff though. Reusable ends and all, how on earth can that work?

So last weekend I set out to make up my own high pressure hoses for my hydroboost. I was expecting a big pita, but let me tell you, this stuff is SO easy to work with! I was done with 2 lines a couple minutes!

Of course they still had to pass the leak test. So I threw them on, and bled the system. Fire up the bronco, and........ NO LEAKS! NONE, NOTTA. Now granted I haven't been out wheelin, but at this point, I'm not really too concerned.

Price you ask, well the last line I had made at a hydraulic shop cost me $35 or $40.

Aeroquip
AER-FBM1112 -- 45* = $10.99 x(2) = $21.98
AER-FBM1122 -- 90* = $10.39 x(2) = $20.78
AER-FCC0606 -- 6' steel braided hose = $33.95 (25" left over)

That's $38.35 ea! With enough left over hose for another line. Of course I still need adapters to make it work.

Adapters
AER-FBM2608 -- 16x1.5mm Metric O-ring(hydroboost) = $13.95
AER-FBM2609 -- 18x1.5mm Metric O-ring(hydroboost) = $13.95
AER-FBM2963 -- 1/2-20 Inverted Flare(gearbox) = $6.95
AER-FBM2964 -- 5/8-18 Inverted Flare(PS pump) = $6.95

So the grand total for high pressure plumbing was $118.

No more dealing with hydraulic shops. Now it's time to do the EB!

Last edited by Nobody on Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

so they just gave you the catalog?

that is awsome.....
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Yep, they could care less about the automotive stuff.
Paul

Post by Paul »

gave you the catalog. now im jealous.... :laugh:
1989 Bronco II 4x4
Mitsubishi 146 5 speed,
Stock D35
235/75/15
4.0L upgrade
NO LIFT
Crop Top
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Aeroquip is the #1 hose supplier in the aircraft industry. Their hoses and fittings have to work good and not fail in an aircraft environment.

Use Aeroquip... Ah but be advised to get the correct threaded fittings.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast