New '88 Bronco II Hunting Rig Project

This is the place to Blog your buildup. If your Bronco II isn't in here, it should be!
Please, one topic per vehicle.
RockyMtnHigh

Re: New '88 Bronco II Hunting Rig Project

Post by RockyMtnHigh »

NO turning back now... :cool:

I did some major fender cutting this afternoon. I got both the front fenders cut out and not looking half bad. I cut anywhere from 2-3 inches of metal out, depending on the area, following the eddie bauer pin striping just above the body line.

I also struck gold on craigslist again, Got a set of black steel 15x8 5 on 4.5 wheels for 10$ each delivered to town.I went ahead and took them to the tire shop to have the 33's mounted up. Brings the grand total of the build up to about 460$ including mounting the tires.

The guy from craigslist showed up in a pretty sick bronco II with a v8, jacked up on 35's. Said he was the man for any parts I would need for a SAS or even v8 swap. I was sure to keep his number :D

Im going to have to pick up a new sawzall before I complete the fender trim, My jigsaw just wouldn't cut the double layer metal on the back fenders without jumping all over and breaking numerous blades. It cut a damn straight line on the front two tho, I was kind of surprised :redneck: I really like how the front end lines up now after the 4 inches or so I cut off the corners.

Pictures~

Until next time :cool:
RockyMtnHigh

Post by RockyMtnHigh »

Inner fenders were trimmed up this afternoon. I didn't finish the drivers side, have to save it for another day. I trimmed and screwed the inner plastic fender up and out of the way.

Gettin er done slowly but surely... Should have some funds in a few weeks to make some real modifications and maybe get this beast on the trail to test it out.

:cool:
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Great job with the progress. I also love the ladies on the wall!
RockyMtnHigh

Post by RockyMtnHigh »

I finished up the fenders last night and also got them put back on. I shot a final coat of primer on the truck and ripped the masking tape and paper off, this is how she will sit until I complete some more modifications on her. No need to paint a rig before im done building it.

I still haven't received my 3" body lift I ordered off the net. I have been contemplating ordering the duff stage 1 setup to go along with it, but am limited to finances for a few more weeks. Poking around I saw a few bushings and mounts that have been rotted out over the years, So it looks like I will be ordering a set of those before its all said and done

Some jackass decided to slap 4 different sized lug nuts on the tires last time they were placed on. :flipoff: I have to pickup a new 4 way or impact socket set to get the tires off. Ive found both metric and standard lugs on the rig so far, God knows what the studs will look like after I get them off.

So money is the limiting factor as always. More progress to come.

Pics as always~

:D I can't wait to slap the new rubber on this thing and get it out into some sand and rocks! I might take it out for some light trails riding this evening.
bambam

Post by bambam »

hahaha i was looking at your pic and thought to myself "looks like colorado" my mom lives in LaJunta i love it there just wish there were more trees
RockyMtnHigh

Post by RockyMtnHigh »

bambam wrote:hahaha i was looking at your pic and thought to myself "looks like colorado" my mom lives in LaJunta i love it there just wish there were more trees
Thanks for stopping by man...

I love colorado! especially this time of year, Starting to warm up a bit down here and melting all the snow off. I live way out west in the desert, just miles from utah, But we have some really nice higher mountain trails through the pine and spruce forests that are just amazing.

Theres something about the southwest, the desert is just so peaceful out here this time of year. Cant wait to get the truck out on the trails.
Mud Addict

Post by Mud Addict »

Get them rubbs on already :redneck:
RockyMtnHigh

Post by RockyMtnHigh »

I took the rig out on its maiden voyage today. There are some mild rock trails that cut through some of the canyons around my house and I just couldnt wait to get the rig out. I kept it pretty easy on the truck for the most part, this is the first time since purchasing it I have taken it off road. I really was just making sure everything worked and there were no mechanical issues with the rig.

I did some mild rock crawling towards the end of the trail to test out the 4 wheel drive, as well as a couple small stream and river crossings. there were no issues on the trip and she pulled back into the garage without a hitch.

Of coarse I forgot my camera, but I snapped a couple shots with my cell phone in while I let the dog out for a run.

If it wasnt for the idiot who slapped 5 different sized lug nuts on the wheels, I'd have the bigger tires slapped on this baby already
:flipoff:
RockyMtnHigh

Post by RockyMtnHigh »

Got the rubber underneath the rig finally. I ended up trimming a little more of the fenders and adding some door and edge trim to cover up the sharp metal edge.

I got her out on the trail today and it was a ton of fun! I cant wait to get the lift kit on this thing so I can do some more serious wheeling.

Short and sweet today.. Pics as always~

Mud Addict

Post by Mud Addict »

:beer: Looking good :beer:
RockyMtnHigh

Post by RockyMtnHigh »

Just a Before & After snapshot so far ~ About 2 weeks of ownership and 500$ invested including the rig!
:beer:

:cool:
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

time to remove the sway bars
RockyMtnHigh

Post by RockyMtnHigh »

Ranger Dave wrote:time to remove the sway bars
After driving it around the farm today, the only noticeable rubbing I had was on the end of the front sway bars.

How much will this affect on road driving if I remove them permanently?
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

i dont have any on my ranger and only the rear one on the B2. if you wanna wheel it and have any flex at all, take um off
littlebear

Post by littlebear »

Im just getting ready to start a project like yours. After trying to but my aunts bromco 1984 for seven years I got it lasw weekend. Its been setting for six years and only has 73000 miles on it. Rain got inside it so im going to strip it down and get rid of the mildue. I was thinking last night about the liner inside I have three gallons left in my shop and I like the way it turned out. Im trying to find some good places to get odds and ends for it I need to put all new gaskets around windows also. Is the scoop fuctional and how does it tie up to the intake or does it. Send me more pix when you finish mktxdrmy@yahoo.com
thanks Littlebear