1986 BII

This is the place to Blog your buildup. If your Bronco II isn't in here, it should be!
Please, one topic per vehicle.
offroadohio

1986 BII

Post by offroadohio »

I got this from Randy M. ( i think he is a member here) Here is his write of up the mods.

Drive train: 1995 4.0 and 4r55e out of 1996 Explorer. At the time of install the drive train had 89K miles. When I put this together, I installed new water pump, idler pulley new plus, wires, fuel filter. I flushed the transmission, installed new filter. (That’s why the pan was leaking, but is now sealed up). Front and rear drive shafts have all new brute force joints and rear was balanced. I replaced the stupid metal straps on the front shaft (at the diff) with the u-bolt conversion. Also went with a B&M shifter. Installed New thick 4.0 Radiator and the cooling fan that I got from you.

Axles: Dana 35 has a 4.56 Yukon gear set, Aussie locker w/ c-clip eliminator. All bearings were replaced with seals. All axle u-joints were replaced in April of 09, they were good, just a year old, and all are brute force joints. (They ARE NOT WELDED. They don’t need to be. I have learned the correct way of doing the joints and have NEVER spun a cap in over 7 years of Wheeling’ rbv’s. I can teach you how to do it and then you can laugh at Wanderer just like I do.) Rotors and caliper were replaced when I built the truck in 07. There is a set of warn hubs on it now and there is a spare in the equipment box in the back. The brake lines are duff stainless. Rear axle is a 31 spline 8.8 with drum brake. I had a disc brake rear in it and I pulled it after 3 runs. The mud we wheel in here in Ohio has so much clay and sand that the slides on the calipers freeze up after 1 run. Screw that, went back to drums. The rear has a set of riverside 4.56’s and a Detroit lunchbox locker. All new bearings and seals. Wheel cylinders were replaced at the time of build. In April 09 I just did spring kits in both lockers. The rear shoes are at about 20% and will need replaced soon.

Lift: 3” PA body lift. Suspension lift is a 3” Duff. Variable rate springs in front w/ 30/70 oil filled shocks. Rear is the 3” Duff add-a-leaf (NO BLOCKS). Rear shocks are 40/60 oil filled. I had Rancho 9000’s on it at first…they sucked. To much rebound. Everyone says oil fills suck…not with this set up. The thing rides like a Lincoln over the roughest stuff. John and Dave just went oil filled on their trucks, it makes that much of a difference. The rear main leaves are getting a little “s” shape to them. I would replace them in the near future. When you flex it out, you’ll see why.

Other Mods: Roof rail sliders. Have had the entire weight of the truck against a tree and no rear broken window’s. I should have put a patent on these things. It still has the front bumper that DAX(previous owners) built, however, it now has the 8000# winch mounted behind it with roller fairlead on the front The winch controls were moved under the hood next to the fire wall to keep them mud free. The is a winch control plug in under the left head light and the is one on the dash inside the spot where the cig lighter used to be. (no more control wire running across the hood and dragging in the mud. It has two d-rings on the front of it and two tow hooks on the frame rails. The bumper is moved up and is even with the bottom of the frame rail. I did a dual battery set-up. Both are mounted under hood with a battery isolater, charges both at the same time. Winch runs off second battery. I pulled out the radio and installed gauges in that location. There is a cooling fan kill switch for water crossings and a Hillbilly A/C unit hanging from the roof. (12v fan, works great) The doors are pinned for easy removal. I have been wheeling without them. It’s like driving a CJ. You can not even believe how well you can see without the doors on it. I have a mirror someplace (can’t find it) that slides into the door pin so it is street legal…I’m looking for it. All vent lines have been extended. Both diff’s are running synthetic lube w/ Lucas

http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff62 ... onco%20II/

offroadohio

Re: 1986 BII

Post by offroadohio »

Ha just noticed I put 86, its an 88.

New tires came in at work today. Replacing the 33LTB ( becuase I plan to drive it to and from trails and to work when I feel the urge) with 35" km2's
offroadohio

Post by offroadohio »

Pulled it into the yard to flex it out and see what needed cut.

Surpisingly they dont rub at all up front where I figured they would. They dig in pretty hard in the rear, I dont have much I can cut until I get into the floor. Im going to cut what I can and if needed liquidnail a hockey puck or two on top of the leaf sring to extend the bump stops.

Some pics of it out in the day light.
offroadohio

Post by offroadohio »

Got alot done today, or atleast I feel like I did.

Got the disc brake conversion done on the rear, cut the rear to clear the 35's,
made a new rear driveshaft, swammped the non working hatch struts out, and took care of the big ole front bumper.