Leumas12's (big) little bronco build

This is the place to Blog your buildup. If your Bronco II isn't in here, it should be!
Please, one topic per vehicle.
Nobody

Re: Leumas12's (big) little bronco build

Post by Nobody »

You're off to a great start. I sure have a lot of respect for people that make their own stuff. Make sure you post an update from time to time.
leumas12

Post by leumas12 »

Nobody wrote:You're off to a great start. I sure have a lot of respect for people that make their own stuff. Make sure you post an update from time to time.
I will probably post more than you want me to :D I tend to take more pics and make more posts than necessary but i figure the more detail i go into, the more likely it will be that it helps somebody with their own stuff.

Got 2 of the beadlocks assembled today. Man it takes a long time to get those things torqued down evenly! The beads are seated and everything and doesnt look like we have any leaks as of yet. Heres the pic (with the best dogs in the world :D)

My dad and i also got it up on the jack stands but i was too lazy to go get the camera for the pic. I will get it up soon. Thanks guys!

Sam
leumas12

Post by leumas12 »

Heres an update! First of all, its up on jack stands (and cinder blocks….and wood :tongue:) Here’s the setup:

On the jack stand its at the correct height for the new suspension. So heres how it will sit with the new suspension under it (and 39.5” tires):

the lowest part of the frame:

and the body between the tires:

Also, both axles are out, heres what the front looks like:

And here we have the joint I decided on to hold the suspension. Its got a 1” bore, 1.25” shank and is full chromoly. Ive talked to some other people running one links and they’ve had success with it so I am going to try it out. Here’s the pic:

That’s all for now. Since the axles are really useless as anything but anchors (and they probably wouldn’t even do that well) I am most likely going to be cutting them to pieces tomorrow just to get them out of the way. From there they will head to the recyclers. Thanks guys. :cool:

Sam
leumas12

Post by leumas12 »

Hey guys. Havent made an update on here in a while so i figure its time. Got a little done this weekend, made new spring perches for the rear axle. I could have bought em but thats $40 and i wouldnt get em for a week or so. So i decided to make em. I started with some 2.5"x3/16" square tube from the local scrap yard ($5).

I cut off two 5" pieces and used a torch to cut out a 3.25" diameter cirlce to fit the axle tube.

Cleaned it up with the grinder.

Checked my fit

Then used some 1/4" plate to cap off the ends

Cleaned it up again

And welded it in place

Now today im cleaning up and painting the bottom of the 14 bolt and putting the wheels and tires together. Thanks guys

Sam
leumas12

Post by leumas12 »

Back again haha. All the beadlocks are done and it seems like they all hold air but im keeping an eye on em to make sure there are no slow leaks. The 14 bolt has brakes and has been painted so i figure i would throw the pic on here:

Thats it :D Thanks guys

Sam
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Looks good. I wish I had your free time. Keep the pics coming of the build.
leumas12

Post by leumas12 »

haha well i cant say ive got the most free time, im a full time student and working so between those and homework i do what i can when i can :D
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Wow then I am really impressed with your time management. I should take lessons from you. :D
leumas12

Post by leumas12 »

the trick is to find a girl who loves the truck and enjoys sunbathing/reading while watching you work, not to mention pressures you to finish it so she can go 4wheeling :D (I think she's gonna steal it when i finish it hahaha)
leumas12

Post by leumas12 »

Hey everyone, its been a while since ive been on here! The rear axle is finished and installed in the truck! Heres what it looks like:

The leaf springs are out of a Dodge Dakota.

Ive also notched the front of the frame to fit the front axle w/truss. Heres how that turned out:

I will update it again when i have more to show. Thanks guys!

Sam :cool:
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I have been fallowing this build on pirate also, just got to say...very nice!
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
leumas12

Post by leumas12 »

Thanks alot! I need to catch up this post with the pirate one, im way behind!
leumas12

Post by leumas12 »

wow i have really forgotten to post my progress on this site!! Anyway its really coming together. I test drove it this weekend and all in all it went well. There are still some things to do but here is what it looks like!

Hope you guys like it!

Sam
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

nice!!!!
joeyy

Post by joeyy »

good lord thats a beast!!!