My '89 B2 Project

This is the place to Blog your buildup. If your Bronco II isn't in here, it should be!
Please, one topic per vehicle.
TJDukit82

Re: My '89 B2 Project

Post by TJDukit82 »

So I put the Lucas Oil stop leak stuff in and it did stop the leak I know it's not my number one choice of fixing it. Just a band aid until I can do it right but it will work for this weekend. Also last night I noticed the rear was sitting a little low so I went to autozone and got a 2" block lift and put it on last night I think I restored the stock ride height plus maybe an inch so it doesn't look too goofy and I won't have to worry too much about the shocks. So this thing is ready to go for this weekend hopefully I roll it that'll be fun.
And on the 8th day God created beer.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

Well took it out yesterday up in Mineral Basin it did very well even surprised alot of people including me. I'm very impressed with this thing even being stock. I did have some trouble with the Temp climbing from 5000 feet all the way up to almost 9000 feet, it heated up to 240 degress as I shut it off and let it set, so I have to work on that. I also had to tear apart my carb near the end of the trail because my jets got clogged. I have to figure out something with the alternator since I discovered it's not charging the battery luckily we made it all the way back to the truck before it died. The only thing that sounds bad right now is the front right hub is going out so I guess I'll just drive it until it breaks because I don't want to put any money into that front axle. And the brakes are funny I think I have a warped rotor or something as I can feel it surging in the pedal and it jerks the Bronco around a little. All in all it was a good shake down run I actually had to try to get some body damage and was only able to dent the rockers a little. So other than all the little things that need some work it's a good little truck.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

So I guess when I tore the carb apart on the trail I put the gasket on backwards because it was running like crap and the choke was stuck. When I tore it apart again I didn't notice until I put it back together that the gas leak and stuck choke was caused by the gasket being on upside down. It runs good now and starts on command again. Actually I only have to tap the starter when it's cold which makes me happy. I still have to fix the oil leak but I might just make it wait until next year when I plan on buying a cheap xploder as a donner vehicle.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
stevenf

Post by stevenf »

Sounds good. Just wait until you get the donor explorer, you think its fun to drive now.... :tongue:

do you plan on a 4.0L swap or 302?
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

Well if I do it I will probably do a 4.0 swap just for how easy it will be, but at the moment the Bronco is up for sale and I kind of want to sell it to get a Cherokee or a Wrangler because I truly am a Jeep guy. I guess I'll see how that goes since the Bronco isn't street legal it's gonna be tough to sell it without putting a lot of work into it.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

TJDukit82 wrote:Well if I do it I will probably do a 4.0 swap just for how easy it will be, but at the moment the Bronco is up for sale and I kind of want to sell it to get a Cherokee or a Wrangler because I truly am a Jeep guy. I guess I'll see how that goes since the Bronco isn't street legal it's gonna be tough to sell it without putting a lot of work into it.

you really just didn't say that you would perfer a heep to a ford on this site did you?
:flipoff:
87 bronco II 93 5.0 HO, NP435, 44 sas
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

Sorry guys thats just me. I've had my jeep and I've had my Fords and jeeps are just easier to work on and more capable in my opinion. I'm not saying the Bronco is a bad ride it's a lot of fun but I'd rather have something that I know most everything about.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

Well there may be hope for the Bronco yet. My dad has '68 Ford back home in Oregon with a 302 in it and it hasn't run for a while but when it did run it ran great and never burned oil. He is going to be scraping the truck to turn it into a trailer and all I have to do is go pick up the motor and transmission. I guess it's just one of those projects I can't turn down.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71