My '88 trail B2

This is the place to Blog your buildup. If your Bronco II isn't in here, it should be!
Please, one topic per vehicle.
bailey

My '88 trail B2

Post by bailey »

I bought my '88 B2 a few years back gradually began transforming into a trail rig:

When I got it (next to my Ranger w/ 33's):

After the SAS, Some trimming and MTR's:

Early wheeling shot. The front end at this time didn't flex much better than the TTB:

Here are some more recent wheeling shots after more trimming/tubbing and cheap spray can paint job. Did a lot of body work, including usage of Bondo - so far any new dents have hit bond0-free zones. Still haven't wristed an arm yet (next month, hopefully), but switching to rubber bushings did suprisingly help out the front flex substantially:

Eventually, would like a 4.0 (or 5.0, but unlikely to happen), auto (c4 or c5), and doubler or Atlas.
1988 B2
d44/9"
tired 2.9L
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

Looks like its growing up! Lookin good!
88 BII,4.0, 9"& D44/4.88 locked. 1350/1354 doubles
92 XJ-wifes toy
bailey

Post by bailey »

Thanks. She's looking OK, and does pretty good on the trail, but I am very jealous over the drivetrain your sporting. At the very least, I want a C5 and doubler, but a 4.0 would really be sweet. I have had only manuals for years, but the Mitsu really sucks and I think I'd be a little more "graceful" on the trail with an auto.
1988 B2
d44/9"
tired 2.9L
stupidcow79

well triming

Post by stupidcow79 »

hey did u make new tubs for the back when u cut mine are cut but it went into the double wall and i finally just took out the outer tub but im fabin up some new tubs
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

bailey wrote:Thanks. She's looking OK, and does pretty good on the trail, but I am very jealous over the drivetrain your sporting. At the very least, I want a C5 and doubler, but a 4.0 would really be sweet. I have had only manuals for years, but the Mitsu really sucks and I think I'd be a little more "graceful" on the trail with an auto.
It is unbelievable the ease of which I can go over things I used to have to run at because of the manual tranny. I never thought I would like an auto in the woods but I have certainly changed my mind.
92 XJ-wifes toy
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

Hmmmmm... :hmmm:

I don't have to take runs at my obstacles. A little finesse with the clutch pedal to keep the rig rollin I suppose.

I wouldn't trade a stick for an auto anyday.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

ranger5.0 wrote:Hmmmmm... :hmmm:

I don't have to take runs at my obstacles. A little finesse with the clutch pedal to keep the rig rollin I suppose.

I wouldn't trade a stick for an auto anyday.
Yep, suppose you're right about that, 'cept the rocks and obstacles are much too close together 'round here for a clutch to have any life expectancy.When I refer to "taking a run at" something most people would think wide open in second or third gear and just beat the hell out of your truck-but that would be a bad presumption. My 2.9 pulled its best at about 2k rpms, and that is where I would start ahill or rock if I could. If I couldn't the clutch would become the abused part. As tight as these trails/rocks are here once you tried an auto you would say it is a better choice.
Idling in 1st gear, Tcase in low and 4.88 gears are a bit too fast for most. And we all know there is no torque at idle.
92 XJ-wifes toy
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

I could keep the 2.8 crawlen at 1500 be it definitely liked 2800 better.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.