Colorado Business/Pleasure Trip 2-04

Been wheelin? Got pics? Share your Bronco II adventure with the rest of us.
b2binbad

Colorado Business/Pleasure Trip 2-04

Post by b2binbad »

I had two recall repairs that needed to be done way out of town. One was in Pagosa Springs, the other in Montrose. I decided it would be a blast to take along my wife since I would be driving the Montero. There would be no way I would make the trip in my company van. Here is a short overview of the trip and a bunch of pics. Most of the pics were taken from the summit of the passes we drove over.

The trip started in Canon City. Most of this part was right along the Arkansas River. Our first pass was Poncha Pass at 9010 Feet. From there along the Sangre De Cristo Range through the San Luis Valley. This range had mostly 13,000 footers and a few 14,000 footers. The next and most challenging pass was Wolf Creek Pass. The ski resort at the top of the pass, Wolf Creek, gets the most snow in Colorado. This pass was at 10,850 feet and part of the Continental Divide. On down to Pagosa Springs and Durango. From there it was very interesting. Highway 550 was the most beautiful part of the state I had ever seen. On this stretch we saw numerous extreme skiers, being dropped off from helicopters onto 12,968 foot Engineer mountain and on 13,370 Foot Sultan mountain. There were snowmobilers all over the place. It was amazing. This led to the scariest part of the drive though. This section of Highway 550 was Avalanche prone. There were so many signs warning of possible avalanches. We didn't stop too much here LOL. Over the top of Molas Pass at 10,910 feet. We started the decent to Silverton. From there it was up and over Red Mountain Pass at 11,018 feet. Ow, my ears were really feeling it there. I could not get them to pop and didn't have any gum. After this pass was the Town of Ouray. Lots of history there. On through Montrose. Nope, was too afraid to try 21 Road or Die Tryin' in the Montero LOL. From there it was over to Gunnison and driving over Blue Mesa Reservoir. This reservoir is huge. We saw a herd of Elk here. From there it was over Monarch Pass at 11,312 feet and coming back over the Continental Divide. Haha, I had gum this time LOL. Down through Salida and up to Buena Vista. From there it was over Trout Creek Pass at 9346 feet then over Wilkerson Pass at 9507 feet. That was pretty much the Highlights of the trip. Thanks for reading!!
Attachments
molaspass.jpg
wolfcreekpass5.jpg
wolfcreekpass1.jpg
wolfcreekpass.jpg
ponchapass.jpg
You're right, I DON'T understand that Jeep thing ;)
b2binbad

Post by b2binbad »

More Pics
Attachments
monarchpass.jpg
townofouray.jpg
townofsilverton1.jpg
townofsilverton2.jpg
townofsilverton.jpg
b2binbad

Post by b2binbad »

Couple more
Attachments
bluemesaresevoir1.jpg
gunnisonelk.jpg
troutcreekpass3.jpg
redmountainpass1.jpg
redmountainpass.jpg
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

The avalanche sign is my favorite! :cool: