Pics of Rubicon Run July 4th 08

Been wheelin? Got pics? Share your Bronco II adventure with the rest of us.
87xjmike

Pics of Rubicon Run July 4th 08

Post by 87xjmike »

Despite all nay saying I got from people once announced I’d try to run with this POS $400 rig you see that I got as is; we made it through. Ran almost the entire con with stock 84 b2 axles and drive train on 35’s, geared low with an auburn lsd in the rear. Made it from Loon Lake to Buck Island and back to loon, only carnage experienced was a flat tire. Luckily we made friends in the beginning of the trail, who convinced us to go to buck island with them, they towed us up a total of 3 hills throughout the entire weekend.

Bought this thing as a joint venture with a buddy $200 each and we made it through the con without a single break, I’m pretty stoked. People were breaking all weekend, it made for an interesting challenge trying to get around these guys, seeing as it was the first time my friend and i had ever driven through the con.

Flexed up coming out of gatekeeper
Shot with DSC-T1 at 2008-07-08

I’m really impressed with what these ttb’s can straddle, great ground clearance. We’re keeping them but stepping up to exploder axle’s front and rear.

A lot of friendly folks on the Rubicon no doubt.

Campsite at buck

And again

Coming into Buck Island

Jeepers taking the wrong line in the box

The two characters I came with enjoying the entertainment in the box

Zuki stepped right up the soup bowl

A member of the group we followed through the con
Blew a burfield joint trying to make it up the bowl

We didn’t get any pics of the gnarly stuff we went through seeing as it was the first time either of us had driven through the con, distracting us from anything other than getting through it all.
I only saw one other b2 out there and he cracked a leaf spring in half right after gatekeeper. He had a straight front axle though. We were the only people I saw on the con without a straight front axle. Someone’s gotta represent the twin traction beams. Everyone we went by that was broke or just sitting on the trail were amazed we made it though, and some people just gave us nasty disgusted looks. It all was quite entertaining.
Nobody

Re: Pics of Rubicon Run July 4th 08

Post by Nobody »

Awesome. Thanks for sharing! :cool:
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

i remember when you bought it and were getting it running, dude you got your moneys worth and then some !!!! and anything that makes it through a ride like that is not pos, i call it creative body work ! beautiful place to wheel, and the ladys there made some nice scenery also :cool:
87 bronco II 93 5.0 HO, NP435, 44 sas
87xjmike

Post by 87xjmike »

All i had to do to get it started was a new Key lock cylinder ($15 bucks at autozone) and now it starts everytime. It runs great to. We did a few things to it; put in a super trap muffler to add a disk..helped out with some needed backpressure seeing as we have zero tubing after the collector. Put in some rear shocks we had laying around, some new fluids and filters in everything that has em and off to the rubicon.

Some more randoms
Shot at 2008-07-10

Shot with DSC-T1 at 2008-07-10

Me in passenger; we took turns driving. I was the only one with the camera and my friend was horrible about taking pics when i gave it to him. He got a little cought up in the spotter mindset. Being in one of the toughest spots to rock crawl in the west makes it hard not to.

My morning hands and face washer

the water was reletavely warm at buck island.. I swam to 2 islands in the middle of the lake

The ladies def. made for some nice scenery. i had my fare share of fun with a random camp tramp on the second night.