What did you do with your Bronco II today?

What's new? Come on in and get to know the other Bronco II enthusiasts on the Forum.
tekatlarge

Re: What did you do with your Bronco II today?

Post by tekatlarge »

Damn that is a nice looking tractor. My tractor sets abandoned. I shredded a drive belt last time I used it and it has been setting ever since. Spring is just around the corner and I really need to get it serviced and ready for another season of work here on the Estate.. Ahhh there is always something going on....
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Thx, I just put 4 new Kenda tires on it so I had to test them out and check for clearances. Still a couple things left to do on it before it goes into the paint booth, it will be done in Cockshutt colors because my Pop ran a dealership back when I was a kid and thats where I first turned a wrench. The tractor has its original 10hp Kohler and 4spd gearbox, front and rear PTO, mower deck and tiller, custom exhaust and a few other "built by Lance" addons.

I probably wont get the lgt100 painted this winter because of all the Bronco biz going on around here these days, have the lifted blue truck in the shop right now and last weekend I agreed to buy B2 #5.... a project truck with a 4L from an explorer and a 4" lift, body and powertrain are back on the chassis but it still needs brake lines, fuel pump, interior... lots of work but the heavy lifting is all done and he offered it at price I couldn't refuse.. $750. I'll probably have to sell one of these stock trucks to gain funds to finish it but I think it will be a fun project.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Lance, ya need to add to the fleet. It is cheaper that way. ha ha ha I am down to 8 vehicles wow I had 13 at one time till "The War Dept" Declared a no mans land from the back of the house to the shop. I had to thin the heard so I could still get to the shop...
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Ya I dont have a problem collecting them. Lol. Now I need another one to get a good interior for the red truck;)

I stripped the excess electrical out of one truck today, gettin ready to install the duraspark conversion, havent heard the truck run yet because the original wiring has been butchered so didnt even try to start it.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

No BII progress but I am making progress on the Ford Tcoupe. I finished the Frame Bench and am now setting the frame rails up. I need to modify the back of the rails and build new cross members.

I have been playing nursemaid to "The War Dept" for a week now. She had some surgery last week so I haven't got a lot done. I am getting ready to get back to the projects as she is mending nicely and it is time to get away for a break!!!

I have the latest on my site under current projects so check out the photos...
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Got the latest B2 addition home yesterday... guess its time to figure out what Im gonna build out of all these parts... and then sell what I dont want. This latest one has been lifted about 6" but Im not real interested in that, I just want the body off it. It also has an alum gas tank that would require another 4" body lift for clearance. Be fun for a day Im sure but not something I would want as a DD.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

I been working my rear off on the Coupe. Frame is jigged up and needs 1 more last fit of the body before I lock it down and put the cross members in. Still Lots to do before it is a roller. I need to finish it to roller condition so it can be moved and my 1923 T rolled out for detailing and getting it ready to sell. I need it to sell soon as I need more parts for the 27 coupe. I also need to put some cash back in the rainy day fund I borrowed from that I used to buy the 27 T.

Tomorrow I need to get out to the shop and finish the job of installing a new drive belt on the Tractor and fix a link in the blade lift linkage. I was noticing last summer the blade seemed to be lacking in lift capacity. I was looking under there while removing the old belt and noticed the lift link had a hole that was originally a 1/4" hole now had an oblong hole about 1/2 inch in length. This effectively eliminated about 3/4 of the blades travel.

I am also going to set aside enough time next week to finish 1 of the 2.9 heads. Trying to balance all this crap is the hardest part but I just plug away..
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Pic of the latest addition, body isnt actually mounted but its blocked up at the height required to clear the alum gas tank.
Attachments
redB2_001.JPG
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Heres a wierd one... Had a vibration in my '84, got the tires balanced once didnt help, so checked everything else but couldnt find a problem, I jacked up one wheel at a time and put the truck in gear... found a tire shakin so took it back to get balanced again... was good for a day but the vibration came back... before I got it this truck sat for awhile with flat tires so Im thinking a fricken mouse got in and built a nest.. or died in there. Two other sets of tires dont shake so it is definately something to do with a tire... but I'll have to get them off the wheels before I know what the problem is.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Looks like maybe the tire from setting took a set in the belting. they like bend the steel belts slightly from being held in one position for a long time. If they lose air it is 3 times worse. some don't even get affected. The worse ones I ever seen were a set I had on a 64 Chevelle. The tires were cooper..

On the other note the belt replacement was smooth but the rest of the list was a pain. Fixing the linkage I had to weld up the hole and re drill it on both the ends and after fixing that I went to test it out by pushing some gravel and the thing was running real crappy and after about 10 minutes the motor started clattering like the valves were real loose or hydraulics that have collapsed . I pulled it back in the shop and checked the oil. The oil was above full and as thin as water. A quick smell and the unmistakable smell of gasoline emanated from the dipstick. Looks like fuel siphoned from the tank right into the cylinder, past the rings and to the sump.

I drained the oil, stuffed a new filter on and refilled with nice 10/30. Fired it back up and within 10 minutes all was quiet on the Kohler Front. The new belt makes the clutch work wonderfully now. Next I going to rework the blade linkage so I have more control and better leverage.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Working on tractors here this weekend, a '98 Craftsman and an early '80s Bolens RER, picked them up last weekend along with an electric Harley golf cart. The craftsman is the best of the three, Ive put in a battery and repaired a crack in the body, has one flat tire needing repair, and the float stuck after I had it running so carb needs cleaning, but it a working mower I should be able to flip. The carb has been taken off the Bolens and stashed under the seat, no idea why, havent looked into it yet. The golf cart needs batteries so Im not sure what to do with it just yet, batts will be near $800, it needs a little fiberglass repair but otherwise in decent condition. I'll put it off to the side for now.

The '84 B2 is a nice driver with diff wheels so it was a good score, body is rough but that can replaced. Still have an '85 in the shop I havent put the duraspark conv into yet. That red body will go onto whichever seems to be the better chassis/powertrain combo.

Havent found time to get the Explorer Sport home yet... maybe this weekend. It runs but stuck in low, and about 25k from home, be a slow trip.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Have the wifes new winter beater home now, we trailered it since its stuck in low but that should be an easy fix. Now she thinks she has a nicer truck than me.... so I said Dont call Me when you get it stuck. LOL
Attachments
explorer_001.JPG
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Thats looking pretty good there Lance, She gonna let ya drive it?

Just posted another update on the TCoupe on my website check it out..

Laters,
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

I'll stick with my Bronco's.... Exploder is nice but it suits her better than me.

So how did your rust removal rig work? I dragged home a 100 year old garden scuffler last week I want to clean up but dont want to use power tools on, thinking of using vinegar and a soft brush. Not sure if it will come apart to soak pieces in a bath.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Lance,

I cleaned a bunch of my David Bradley parts with the electrolysis tank. It did a good job. I was limited by the size of the tank and the amount of space it took up. my T is too big to put in electrolysis so I am looking at some alternatives now.

I recently ran across a rust removal process that stunned me!

That method is use Feed Grade Molasses. I thought I had seen the ultimate chemical but this thick gooey stuff removes rust like you won't believe.

I am not sure exactly what the process is, you know like do you paint it on and come back later to clean the stuff off or just what? I plan to look into this as it is completely environmentally safe. No harsh chemicals used and rinse off with water. The only down side I can see is if you live in bear country I wouldn't want to invite them in with molasses.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington