What did you do with your Bronco II today?

What's new? Come on in and get to know the other Bronco II enthusiasts on the Forum.
Lance Skene

Re: What did you do with your Bronco II today?

Post by Lance Skene »

Ya Im still lurking around... lol, just dont bother much with the pc until winter usually, far too many projects on the go(speaking of tractors)... plus the guy should be here in about 8 hrs with the next B2, this one will hopefully be the wifes winter beater, she's been bugging me to find her one for awhile. idea being she only wants it for the ugly weather days, which make sense cause she commutes about 40km to work in her '06 Focus. We've looked at many but I wanted another '84 or '85 just because thats what I have for parts if it needs any. Since somebody thought this one was worth paying storage fees for a couple years Im thinkin maybe its a good score at $450 delivered... has a bent bumper and crinkle in the right front but overall it looked decent enough in pics... green paint is peeling, not much rust yet and thats a big plus in Canada. No air or cruise, very basic model similar to my DD(minus the rust).... and I have pretty much every replacement part it could possible need.

If your interested in tinkerin on a tractor the Massey Harris might be a little big and heavy, but there is alot of them around for parts, the 44s are about the most common around here, I prefer tractors under 5000lbs. Good size for parades, popular fun class for pulling, easy to work on, and you can actually use them around a small yard 1/2 acre or bigger. In the 40s and 50s there are alot of good examples... its fun, but its more fricken addicting than trucks tho.LOL
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

So #4 is here now... decent enough for the price, interior is quite good but dirty, light tan colour, buckets no console, body needs some work and front bumper is junk, decent tires. Overall promising, I'll get it in the shop soon and see if it runs but I expect it does since somebody paid storage fees for almost 4 yrs.

Hope to start pulling parts off #3 tomorrow, wont be saving much off it other than the engine, tansfer case and tranny, so if anyone needs any small easy to ship parts I might have it, I'll send it to scrap in the spring.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

I spent some time in the shop today. I have been making a part for my older brothers woodworking equipment. I machined this round clamp for him that acts as a stop. My brothers machine had a Chinese plastic one and of course didn't work very well! In discussing this with my brother I foolishly offered to make him one out of aluminum.

So 2 lbs of billet and 3 garbage bags of swarf later, I just need to drill and tap the clamp part of this thing and I am done. I definitely have to remember to keep my mouth shut from now on..

Here is the unfinished clamp. oh and threw in a F150 Final Picture.
Attachments
clamp2.jpg
clamp2.jpg (131.81 KiB) Viewed 9030 times
Truck Final 1.jpg
Truck Final 1.jpg (136.13 KiB) Viewed 9030 times
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Well the engine is out of the parts truck and sitting on a stand so I can clean it up.

The '84 that I just got from a storage lot runs and drives nice after changing the steering column and one caliper, bit of a gas leak at the carb I need to check out but I'll duraspark it before the wife starts to drive it so that requires a new carb. Some body work needed but it doesnt really need much else.

Got the lifted one in the shop now, its the best body but isnt running, have to do a compression test and hope for the best.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Quiet forum this week.. nobody workin on anything?

I was tinkerin on my latest addition yesterday, the '84 from a storage lot. When I first fired it up I found it had a fuel leak from the carb so swapped the carb out yesterday, test drive to town and back and find its running a little hot so I need to check thermostat and rad for flow. Front bumper is bent on it so I bent up some plate earlier this week so I want to test fit that today, I plan to design a bush guard for it also but need it mounted for measuring.

Great white north is kinda brown this year, no snowmobiling, no pushing snow with the tractors, kind of boring really.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Well lets see I am getting serious about moving along on the Hot Rod. I am in the process of building the frame jig so I can start on the frame repairs and re work. The bed of the jig I made out of cross beams from a large pallet rack. I had a couple of shelves I made using these beams and just cutting down the end pieces. I have finished welding the base and will mount the frame guide rails. Then dissect the frame I got with the coupe and build the frame back the way it should have been done in the first place.

So I just plug along. I am going to get back to the B II soon. I need to finish the heads and get the motor back together then retrieve the chassis. My oh my things do tend to get jumbled up fast.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Turned out the rad wasnt flowing much so I swapped it out , did a little body work on the front right and replaced the broken signal light, got the mockup bumper mounted, replaced the broken grill... almost looks like a B2 now. Eventually I'll probabably put new fenders on it but for now I want to get it in good working order, need to replace the gas shocks on the rear hatch, wipers, door locks, radio. Shakes a bit after 60mph... might be tires, they dont look bad but they sat flat for along time and Ive only put 14m on it so far. Assuming it continues to run good I'll duraspark it, I really like that trick on my dd.

Which all means I can start working on the lifted one pretty soon... its in the shop with the hood off but Ive only looked at it so far, it has a decent body but somebody has been under the hood and left a mess so I have to piece together the wiring just to find out if it runs or not... but I knew that when I brought it home, and I have a spare running engine if needed.

Also mounted a set of ATV 6ply Kenda Bear Claws on 12" rims and put them on one of my Ford garden tractors yesterday, so it was a busy weekend.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Drove the '84 into town and then to work, 70km round trip, still shakes above 100kph so have to look into that, but otherwise went well, heater only works on high so the resistor is done, no backup lights, lots of small issues but for the price I can deal with those:)
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Took this 2nd pic this am.... bumper is a work in progress.
Attachments
'84_B2_001.jpg
'84_B2_002.JPG
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

I couldn't figure out in your first picture what you were doing to the bumper. I thought Pre bending it? Maybe Straightening it? Ah but the second photo solves all mysteries.. It looks pretty good from over here!
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Ya somebody else pre-bent the bumper... and the front fenders, and the grill. Plus the hood has been up over the roof at some point... not sure if that was before... during... or after the damage on the front end. Lol

Its not as bad as it looks, drives straight, and pretty quiet. It will make a good spare beater for the wife when the snow gets too deep for her Focus... and thats all I agreed to!! Lol
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Good for you Lance!!! Never give in and stand fast. Us Guys gotta stick together!!!!

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

:cool:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Picked up everything for the duraspark conversion today, all new parts, $825. Getting the wheels balanced and a safety inspection right now, I dont expect it to pass but it will let me know what needs to be worked on next. I drove it to work all week without any surprises, about 250km, other than the doors rattling because the plastic bushings are all gone its drives pretty well.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Never made much progress on the B2 this weekend, got busy with moving snow and swapping tires on a garden tractor. When the truck was up on the hoist friday we found one bad ujoint on the right front hub but otherwise everything underside looks good.

Found two more trucks this weekend I might pickup, one is another B2 project, 4" lift, 4L from an explorer, good body on it, still needs brake lines, fuel pump, interior... but its cheap

the other is an '02 Jeep that died on the highway and was towed to the local autoshop, serpintine belt jumped a cog, not sure if there was any valve damage, if there is I wont bother with it but if it just needs the belt and runs I can get it for about $500. The wife could drive that and I wouldnt have to give up one of Bronco's. Lol
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

This was the extent of my Ford off roading for the weekend
Attachments
lgt100_05.JPG
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab