Model years with rear access window?

What's new? Come on in and get to know the other Bronco II enthusiasts on the Forum.
Lance Skene

Model years with rear access window?

Post by Lance Skene »

Just curious what model years ne1 has seen with the rear window that opens fully to allow access without opening the whole hatch?

Some online info suggests it was only available as an oem option in 84-85 but Ive also seen info that suggests it was on several 86-87 models, mostly EBs. I just put one on my B2 but I have no idea what year truck this particular hatch was from.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
drofman

Re: Model years with rear access window?

Post by drofman »

My 88 has it, it's an XLT model. I think if it has wing windows it got the rear window. not sure though.
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Whats a wing window?

I looked for a parts truck for several years and only ever personally saw the access window on 84-85 models, and Ive heard others say there was also a pop-out version that only opened about 2-3 inches and had the rear defogger, that version can supposedly be left open while driving, Ive never seen one like that either.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
drofman

Post by drofman »

The little windows in front of the side door windows that deflect air while driving.
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

The B2s had those vent windows on some models? I dont think Ive seen one, or maybe just didnt notice.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
drofman

Post by drofman »

Yep mine has them.
dgl6y6

Post by dgl6y6 »

I have the wing windows on my 88 but not the opening hatch window. I was a JY last weekend and Almost grabbed a hatch with the window. I remember the B2 it was on did not have the wing windows. I really want one but was wondering, can you leave it open while driving? I am concerned that with all the windows open it might let exhaust into the cab like a FSB.
Also do they all have the cut out for the spare tire carrier?
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

I wouldnt leave the rear access window open in transit, it would bounce alot and cause problems with the mounting for the gas shocks. Not sure what cut out your talking about, only cutouts on any of my 3 B2s is just a hand grab area on the pass side of the rear door, dont think the tire mount has anything to do with it, but also the access window wouldnt open unless the spare was swung outward, if you use the factory rear tire mount the access window wouldnt be very useful I dont think. I have my spare on a roof rack so I can readily open the access window and I use it quite alot, usually have at least one dog in the back so the window is handy access without opening the hatch and letting the dogs out.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
dgl6y6

Post by dgl6y6 »

I believe that cut out you're talking about this for the bracket for the spare tire carrier. Mine doesn't have any cut outs and didn't come with a spare tire carrier
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Yep it is Bad News to leave the hatch open while under way! The air moving over the vehicle causes a low pressure area behind it and that low pressure sucks all the exhaust fumes right into the passenger compartment.

A couple a years ago here in Seattle's Elliot Bay we had a cabin cruiser with the dingy across the back suffer from Carbon monoxide poisoning. I believe one of the people was killed and the rest were all incapacitated from Carbon Monoxide! The coast guard finally rescued the people on the boat but by then they were all unconscious.

This happened in the winter months and if they had just opened one of the side windows they would have been good. It appears in this case the way the dingy was mounted further exasperated the problem.

So do yourself a favor, leave the rear hatch window closed..
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Slammin Sam

Post by Slammin Sam »

Sorry to reply to old thread, but the sales booklets for the B2 listed the "flip open rear window" as an option every year except 1990. If you ordered the window, you couldn't order the washer/wiper with defroster. While searching for my current B2, I saw lots of 87s with the flip open window. Tekatlarge mentioned carbon monoxide danger with the rear window open. When I was a kid we had several station wagons (60 Chevy, 68 Ford) with roll down rear windows, always drove with them down (no a/c) and lived to talk about it.