welder's (which one, what type, why, experiences).

What's new? Come on in and get to know the other Bronco II enthusiasts on the Forum.
FatMan

welder's (which one, what type, why, experiences).

Post by FatMan »

i know theres info on the board about welder's but i wanted to put it into a thread. i need a welder bad i have a opertunity to get a Lincoln Weld-pac 100 for free. it need's a new gun and they run about $215.00 i figure that's pretty cheap for a working welder. dont know to much about Lincoln i've used a Hobart and Miller (me likes). i think it's a arc becuz at Sears it offers a mig adapter option. im not really that good at arc welding but practice makes perfect. the welder is suppose to be able to weld up to 1/4" mild. what do you guy's think?

thank's
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
b2binbad

Post by b2binbad »

I think you can't pass up on FREE!
You're right, I DON'T understand that Jeep thing ;)
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

my thought's to i just hope i can arc weld but the guy im talking to say's it weld's just like a mig.
AlbertaBoy

Post by AlbertaBoy »

I don't have a lot of experience but I do know that using a flux core wire like the Weld Pak does sux. They never seem to work right. Maybe I just needed to put more time in with it. It's hard when you have a really nice MIG at your disposal. I found a small review on that Lincoln. Go here Lincoln Weld Pak Review
I see dumb people...they're everywhere. They walk around like everyone else. They don't even know that they're dumb.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

hey thank's AlbertaBoy im gonna read up on that.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

good review.. now i cant remember but i think i've asked this and i try'd search but could'nt find anything. what's the difference between mild steel and other steel?
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

AlbertaBoy wrote: I do know that using a flux core wire like the Weld Pak does sux. They never seem to work right. Maybe I just needed to put more time in with it.
If it's not working for you then I think you hit the nail on the head about needing more practice with it. Welding flux core wire is every bit as easy as solid wire if not easier.
The big downfall of that machine is that it's light duty meaning that joint preparation and proper weld technique is even more critical with it than with larger machines.
I would get it for free and search for a gun cheaper online somewhere like Ebay.
HTH
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

well missed out on the welder but hopefully i can find somethingelse soon cuz i need to weld some crap up. :mad2:
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I paid like $225 for my lincoln arc welder a few years back. it wroks well for everything but sheet metal.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

DBrown what model?
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

lincoln 225AC I think....

b2binbad

Post by b2binbad »

Fatman, check pawn shops, I'm always finding stuff there.
You're right, I DON'T understand that Jeep thing ;)
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

if i get a chance i'll hit some up on friday otherwise i'll be on the search next week.
DZK007

Post by DZK007 »

For a small unit capable of 1/4 inch my bro in law bought a small lincoln MIG from Lowes on sale. It was $300 or so and is Argon capable but we run flux core right now. It is a sweet welder and you can buy a cheaper one that isn't gas ready for less. Essentially you can buy a brand new MIG welder for what they want for the gun on the welder you passed up. Not to mention that it runs on 110 volt..... :beer:
'84 Bronco II, 3.0L, 4X4, 5spd, D-35+8.8 w/31spl Explorer axles, some suspension mods.....

410fortune Owes ME $$$ !
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

MIG is what I am after next, the arc welder works realy well for the larger metals but when it comes to sheet metal MIG is the way to go.