gas mileage in 84 2.8 EB 4x4

What's new? Come on in and get to know the other Bronco II enthusiasts on the Forum.
Colin

gas mileage in 84 2.8 EB 4x4

Post by Colin »

I just bought this EB and cannot seem to get it smogged. The tech has changed out the auto. throttle control device and I replaced the oxygen sensor but it still does not pass here in CA. It only does 13 mpg on mixture of sreet and freeway driving. I am sure it should do much more than that. Yestedray I drove 30 miles on the freeway to pick up a set of wheels and after twenty minutes it all but died and only managed 35 mph from there on and if it tried to go any faster it seemed like it was starving for fuel. After sitting at the guy's house for a few minutes and loading up the wheels it started fine and drove all the way home on surface streets without missing a beat. It only does this when it gets heated up on a faster drive or I noticed it the other day on streets when I was pulling a trailer. I replaced the coil today with a BW after market coil, hoping that was what the problem was. Have not driven it since, but if somebody has anything to suggest I am very open to advice. I am a rookie B2 man so I need your help guys. Thanks
Colin
Ranger Dave

Re: gas mileage in 84 2.8 EB 4x4

Post by Ranger Dave »

A 84 Early Bronco???
Colin

Post by Colin »

yes a 1984 Bronco II 2.8L Eddie Bauer 4x4! In fact I had a new catalitic converter fitted to it yesterday after I posted that piece and it now keeps increasing revs as I boot it in the lower gears whereas before it would only get to a certain revs and then hesitate and miss. Maybe the old cat was badly blocked and I had big time back pressure? Would that cause it to use more fuel? I would imagine it would.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

yeah, it would cause it to get bad milage. have you tried to smog it again?

I was going to say mod. on the side of the distributor but it sounds like you might have found your problem.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Colin

Post by Colin »

Yes I have and it still does not pass. The codes say that there is a problem with the EGR system but my smog tech does not know how to find the problem or fix it. He cannot establish what the rear solenoid on the front right fender does because none of the stuff on his computer software tells him this. It is something to do with the EGR as is the fourth one back, but he is all confused about this fifth solenoid. When he is testing it at 2000 revs it will suddenly start missing and one of these two EGR solenoids starts clicking loudly like it is cutting in and out. At that time it runs lean but before that it runs rich so he is really confused. I am told that Fords of this vintage are real dogs to diagnose these sorts of problems. He has had it for six weeks now and still has not smogged it!! Oh well, guess that's my life at this time lol. I really do need this vehicle at home so I can use it so I am starting to get a little impatient with this tech.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Okay it is smogged!!!! Cost me about $600 in the end but it has passed and good for 2 years lol. Had a new intake manifold gasket fitted and the carb and the EGR valve all cleaned out and a new fuel filter and I actually sat it for half an hour running at 2000 revs and sprayed water into the carb as fast as I could. Did that twice and that brought down the carbo hydrate level which allowed it to pass. But the carb was full of rust from the gas tank so I had to remove the tank and clean that out. Seems to be running real nice now. Have not checked the gas mileage since all of this. Sure do love this vehicle. Can't wait to get off road and put power to all four wheels now!
303lithgow

Post by 303lithgow »

In Washington State (select counties) you only have to spend $75 to try to get it to pass emissions. Vehicles older than 25 years old are exempt.

Really makes sense doesn't it? Test a brand new care but let the older ones that have no chance of passing exempt.

Or register it in a county that doesn't require the smog test.
1986 Bronco II, base 4wd, auto
1990 Bronco II, XLT, 5 speed
1970 F250 Camper Special
1967 Kit Companion Camper Trailer