New member, looking at an '89 - need advice

What's new? Come on in and get to know the other Bronco II enthusiasts on the Forum.
DiscGolfer

New member, looking at an '89 - need advice

Post by DiscGolfer »

Thanks for the forum! Kudos to any and all that spend their time and efforts for the benefit of others.

I've never owned a 4WD and am looking at a Bronco II '89 model, body is in great shape, engine sounds great (2.9L I think, does that sound right?) and the tires have lots of tread on them. It looks like a great vehicle for what I want (light hill climbing, trailer hauling for farm work). The clutch seems tight, has a new stereo in it, A/C and heat work. In fact the only problem I noticed when I looked at it tonight (first look, dark and cold outside so it was quick) was the rear hatch handle is broken. Is that difficult to fix/find parts?

Can you think of anything else I need to look at specifically before deciding to buy it? The asking price is $800, is that a good price?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Larry
Ruffinit

Re: New member, looking at an '89 - need advice

Post by Ruffinit »

Right off the cuff, there are a few things to take a look at. The rear hatch handle for those are pretty common, easy to find and a straight forward fix. Get a Chilton or Haynes or better yet, both. You might check the passenger side exhaust manifold for a crack that can lead to an exhaust leak and noise. Check the exhaust for even the slightest smell of antifreeze or miss in the engine. This is an $800 vehicle which is a good deal if it's as clean as you say. I picked mine up in Galatin because the body was so clean. We have plenty of salt up here which leads to plenty of rust...

The BIIs are great rides and great 4x4s, if this thing runs well you'll have everything you need.
clem

Post by clem »

I don't know if they salt on the roads in TN but the front rad mount/bodt mount rusts out around here. The 2.9's are known for tapping a little not let this bother you. Check all aspects of the 4wd system, in other words make sure everything works. Just about everything is easy to work on and parts are plentyful. Oh one more thing these things seem to love being treated badly so drive it like you stole it. :redneck: :canada:
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

if theres salt there, open the rear hatch and look inbetween the tail lights down low.thats where the rear body mount is. they rot out. i fixed one

http://rangerdave.freeforums.org/bronco ... t-t36.html

ecst2wcst

Post by ecst2wcst »

Welcome. I am new myself. If all checks out I would say that is a great buy. The only thing I don't like about anything after '88 is the plastic headlamps. But that's a personal choice. And now that I think about it sun roofs were not a good idea either. Mine leaks like a sieve. These little babies take a lickin' and keep on tickin". I hope you have years of fun with yours. I know I did. Shortly I will be taking it out from beside the shed and starting the restoration. The only real warning I can give you is the BII is top heavy. I almost rolled mine making an abrupt U turn. Two wheels is kind of scary. I must say I never got it stuck. Even in the sand. In NC I can drive it on the beach. Well happy trails and chat with you later.

Rob in NC
Rob in NC