My little motorcycle ride

What's new? Come on in and get to know the other Bronco II enthusiasts on the Forum.
Bob Myers

My little motorcycle ride

Post by Bob Myers »

Went for a motorcycle ride a couple weeks ago, left Paris Ky on Sunday morning, ate lunch in Salt Lake City on Monday afternoon, and was at Phillipi house for afternoon tea, 1755 miles, 30 hours, 25 actual riding hours. Slept rather well Monday night, and rode home starting Tuesday afternoon, finally made it Thursday midday. 3423 round trip. Looking at possibly doing another 15/1600 mile one way 30 hour run next month. Sure is fun!
88 BII,4.0, 9"& D44/4.88 locked. 1350/1354 doubles
92 XJ-wifes toy
Phillippi

Re: My little motorcycle ride

Post by Phillippi »

Bob we are glad you made it back ok. Wish you could have stayed longer and for dinner or something. Anyway did you ever find out what the problem was with your bike?

It was great to meet you. Take it easy.
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

The fluid was contaminated with moisture. The heat of the road/bike/etc mad ethe fluid expand and boil. Once I got back to Slat Lake and met up with a friend from one of the motorcycle sites we flushed the clutch master cylinder with fresh fluid and all is well. Too simple really.
92 XJ-wifes toy
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

that is awsome! I wish I had enough vacation to do something like that...
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Everyone is welcome to ride their motorcycles to Utah and visit. Just give me enough time to feed you... :D
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

DBrown wrote:that is awsome! I wish I had enough vacation to do something like that...
Vacation time? Did you not realize the time frame here? I worked Sunday through Saturday night, got up and left on Sunday morn, returned on Thursday midday and went back to work that afternoon. Just like you, I own my business and for every hour I am absent I must work 1½ extra to make it up.
I have been planning, scheming, and threatening to do this for 5 years, and I was not saying any thing to any one, Except Jason, until the Friday before I left. No one was going to say they needed this or that before I can leave.
92 XJ-wifes toy
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Now I feel special :finger: . It is too bad it was such a fast trip and you could not hang out and chill out for a bit before you had to leave. Next time...
clem

Post by clem »

Good on you, glad you had a good ride, it's nice to get away, all too often our vacation time is used to catch up on stuff around the house. Around here preparing for winter starts now, I just replaced a window in my basement and still got another before too soon.(hope that didn't sound like whining) :smilie: My wife and I are trying to get our VW camper van ready to go camping at least once this year. :canada: :redneck:
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
MrD

Post by MrD »

Bob, have you ever thought about the "saddle sore 1,000" or the "bun Burners" long distance rides. I am glad you had fun & I am impressed that you made the ride in such a short time. :beer:

I once rode my sportster home to Las Vegas, NV from Durango,CO and some stops in New Mexico and Arizona. I was on the bike for aprox 17 hrs and rode close to 1200 miles that day. :hmmm:

I may have to go to Utah so I can talk with Phillippi about Broncos and a goal for mine once I get it to pass emissions, not stop running once I turn it off, etc.... :D

Laters , Kelly
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

They have a similar run like that here in the North West. They call it the Iron But 1000. I think it used to be sponsored by law enforcement. I did it once years ago back before I started driving this wheelchair. It was fun but rather grueling. I used to do the sturgis Rally every year and it was 1225 mi from my door to downtown Sturgis. I liked to break it into 2 days. First day /Seattle to Bute Montana or nearby, and the second day into Sturgis. Just the right balance between riding and resting. No more 2 wheels due to this chair but have been thinking about a trike again. I Built one in 86 and maybe next year another. Oh well gotta keep my mind in it.

BTW: just what kind of Motor are we talking about for this long distance stuff?
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Sounds awesome. Did you make the trip solo?
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

Just like you, I own my business and for every hour I am absent I must work 1½ extra to make it up.
I know exactly what you mean...sorry I guess it never came up, but I actualy had to take a job a while back. the economy went to crap here even though they will not admit it. alot of guys went under. work fell off and I had to pay bills. I haven't stopped designing homes but I have stopped building.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

MrD wrote:Bob, have you ever thought about the "saddle sore 1,000" or the "bun Burners" long distance rides. I am glad you had fun & I am impressed that you made the ride in such a short time. :beer:
Laters , Kelly
I got my certificate for both the SS 1k and BB 1500 on this trip. For me, that is what this trip was based on. That and a personal challenge to prove to myself that I'm not as old and feeble as everyone thinks.They all think I'm weak and old. I can't benchpress or overhead press because of rotator cuff problems but I can still scare the snot out of my employees by picking up a 400 pound chunk of round bar and putting it on the saw by myself.
tekatlarge wrote:They have a similar run like that here in the North West. They call it the Iron But 1000. I think it used to be sponsored by law enforcement. I did it once years ago back before I started driving this wheelchair. It was fun but rather grueling. I used to do the sturgis Rally every year and it was 1225 mi from my door to downtown Sturgis. I liked to break it into 2 days. First day /Seattle to Bute Montana or nearby, and the second day into Sturgis. Just the right balance between riding and resting. No more 2 wheels due to this chair but have been thinking about a trike again. I Built one in 86 and maybe next year another. Oh well gotta keep my mind in it.

BTW: just what kind of Motor are we talking about for this long distance stuff?
I have an '86 Yamaha Venture Royale' that I ride when doing long rides, 1000 or less per day and I ride my Vulcan 800a
92 XJ-wifes toy
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Bob Myers

I have an '86 Yamaha Venture Royale' that I ride when doing long rides, 1000 or less per day and I ride my Vulcan 800a

Nice rides. I heard that Vulcan was FAST!!!

As an Old Fart I have owned more motors than I can remember. Mopeds,Minibikes,Go carts,Dressers and street bikes. I did like to play with the fast bikes..Unfortunately I was forced into a wheelchair in late 02 and decided to sell the Bikes I had. I miss the hell out of it. This is the longest time I been cycle less in over 45 years. I been thinking about building a trike again but it seems just about every trike design has been tried.

Anyway sounds like you have the stable pretty well set.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
MrD

Post by MrD »

I miss the hell out of it. This is the longest time I been cycle less in over 45 years. I been thinking about building a trike again but it seems just about every trike design has been tried.
Tek I am with you on the above statement in a way.

I am a young 40 soon to be 41 (12-24-08). I have tried many things to cure my motorcycle habit. A mini cooper S, and the latest my 84 BII. back in dec. 06 I ended up with a tramautic brain injury and since I have been healing and etc..

The darn things is I have been to about 3 Neurologists and 2 brain rehab ctrs. and evrytime they have heard I rode motorcycles and told them I want to ride again :laugh:

The docs say not such a good idea, the bummer is my wife has been present to hear all those statements :flipoff: the docs
One day I will be back on 2 wheels or 3 wheels (vrod trike)

Well good luck towards a trike design. I have been looking at:
Yamaha FJR 1300

V-Rod