My new car

What's new? Come on in and get to know the other Bronco II enthusiasts on the Forum.
Nobody

My new car

Post by Nobody »

Please forgive me for my sins. However in all fairness, I did go to the Ford dealer first! They of course don't have any small diesels.

I broke down and did it. Bought a 2001 Volkswagon Jetta TDI (Diesel) last week. I wanted a diesel so I have the option of running Bio, but more importantly I needed great mileage as I took a new job with a death commute.

First impression is it's a nice little car. The 1.9L Turbo diesel can scoot right along, easily cruising 70+ maintaining speed uphill. It's got plenty of power for getting up to speed and merging on the freeway.

Overall, it's cramped. For me to be comfortable I have have to have the seat all the way back. This leaves literally no leg room in the backseat, also creates a problem with the baby carseat. I tried sitting in the back seat, and forget it. I'm too tall. We did test drive a brand new one for kicks, and it seemed to have a little more room in back.

After the first day, I topped off and it pulled 44mpg. The second tank I pulled a solid 38 mpg with around town driving. 3rd tank will be about the same....a/c blasting!

Filling up still sucks, but $39 beat the hell out of the $90 it would have cost to drive the exploder, or the $121 to drive the bronco!

I definately feel a sense of freedom again. I can load up the family and go without breaking the bank. I just wish it was 4wd!

For those with excel, I made this little spreadsheet to compare fuel costs.

http://www.broncoii4x4.com/bb/fueleconomy.xls

Here is a good site for looking up fuel economy on different vehicles.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

edit: ooops..... accidently deleted the first thread. Doh!@
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

thats got the engion i have decided to put in my second bronco II. Looks cool!
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Wow this is like deja-vu. Cool car. I know that I put this up before. :finger:
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

I will be more than happy to park on it in the I-5 parking lot. :finger: :cool: I guess you can ignore the Car post I left ya.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
85ranger4x4

Post by 85ranger4x4 »

good for you man!

One thing to keep an eye on, those engines have a problem with the intake getting all clogged up with soot and goo...(I think its from EGR...not sure though) but if it's running well then its probably fine. When they get all clogged they start running really bad and getting hard to start. See if there was a dealer recall that effects your VIN# and see if it has been remedied.
http://groups.msn.com/bellinghamdualsportriders

85 Longbed 4x4
94 4.0L V6, 4.56 welded rear, L/S front, 32" MTRs
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

just make sure to change the timing belt becuase if it goes the whole motor goes!
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

Be careful pulling up to curbs, I tore the bumper cover half off my Tanya's Jetta Saturday night in a parking spot and then spent the next hour and a half tearing it off and fixing it.
Attachments
0131.jpg
Ranger 5.o, needing another project like Rosie O'Donnell needs another M&M.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

85ranger4x4 wrote:good for you man!

One thing to keep an eye on, those engines have a problem with the intake getting all clogged up with soot and goo...(I think its from EGR...not sure though) but if it's running well then its probably fine. When they get all clogged they start running really bad and getting hard to start. See if there was a dealer recall that effects your VIN# and see if it has been remedied.
A lady I used to work with has a 2002 jetta she bought new. She let me look through all her records, and the only big things she had done were glow plugs and intake cleaning.

Overall, the car starts and runs very well. I bought it from the dealer in Everett, which seem to be a pretty straight up place. I bought the second one I looked at. Time was short, and pickings are slim on these things.

The first one had low miles and ran like it had 300K on it. It was thrashed. I pulled the oil cap while the engine was running, and the internal pressure blew the cap out of my hand. Shady salesman too. :mad:
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Rockcrawler wrote:just make sure to change the timing belt becuase if it goes the whole motor goes!
Yep, I get to the timing belt at 80K. A bit rediculous if you ask me....crazy germans.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

EBSTEVE wrote:Be careful pulling up to curbs, I tore the bumper cover half off my Tanya's Jetta Saturday night in a parking spot and then spent the next hour and a half tearing it off and fixing it.
DOH!

Lady I worked with warned me about curbs. Good thing too, or I would have done exactly what you did by now.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

wow!!! i could have used that 44mpg last weekend... it cost me $141.00 in gas to go just north of Sac for a paintball tournament...
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

Saturday night, dark parking lot and a curb. :confused:

What were ya doin' steve??? :finger:

Thats why I like my S-10. Even being lowered It seems to be tall enough to get over most obstacles my honda accord won't. :redneck:
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.