Infernal suspension!!!!!

What's new? Come on in and get to know the other Bronco II enthusiasts on the Forum.
TNMAN

Infernal suspension!!!!!

Post by TNMAN »

Seems that my inexperience with suspension geometry has bit me in the butt! :mad: . Because of several factors,my front pinion angle was not "ideal". I came up with the great idea of shortening the shackles by 1 and 1/2 inches. Since I am using leafs on the front and was using the shackle reversal on my SOA I figured that by shortening the shackles a bit that it would turn the front pinion angle up a few degrees..which I had to have to make my front driveshaft "live". After re-drilling the spring-end holes in the shackles and putting them back on...the shackles now rest at about 45*! Dammitt all! It seems that the fix for this would be to move the front spring perches FORWARD about the same amopunt that I shortened the shackles.....which would be a major undertaking! Dammitt! I think I might just go ahead and drive the BroIII just like it sits now and worry about the shackle problem later. The way I have the shackle mounts on the frame...the bab body mounts would prevent the shackles from flipping over. A LESSON WELL LEARNED! :mad: :flipoff:
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

45* degrees in the wrong direction? Generally, you want your shackles at a nice angle. Softer ride and better flex.

You're probably going to need a long travel slip yoke too. I hate to say what would have been easier :finger:
TNMAN

Post by TNMAN »

45*...toward the rear. It will work like this,but I think that after the springs settle in that I will have to adjust. Yea....I know what would have been better. Ya gotta admit though,there are trade-offs in both set-ups. Putting the leafs on seemed to be the easiest install, but when it came to driveshaft angles and steering set-up it caused probs.As for the coils,it would have been a little bit more complicated to installbut the angles and steering would have been easier.