So I went to the Ford dealer.....

What's new? Come on in and get to know the other Bronco II enthusiasts on the Forum.
Nobody

So I went to the Ford dealer.....

Post by Nobody »

Walked up to the first salesman and said I want a diesel ford ranger.

He asked me if I was serious. :rolleyes:
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

are they making those again?
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

That's what he asked me.... I said I don't know, you're the dealer. You got one?

Of course I knew the answer, it was just fun to watch him squirm, knowing a sale was about to walk away.

It pisses me off that the US midsize diesel market is not existant. I have to buy a freaking jetta. :mad:
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

I want one too. I would be willing to pay a premeum to run it on biodiesel. Anything to keep the middle east from getting our money.
Sand won't buy weapons.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

you know the big swap in the EB world is a diesel from a frito lay truck...

Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

what im going to do when i get some more money together is take a bronco II and swap a cummins 4 cyl in it :finger: I figure i shoud get about 30 mpg with 35 tires.
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

My neighbor runs an excavating business. He has a Case dozer and a track hoe, both have Cummins 4-cylinders in them. I wonder if they
are just the 5.9 with two less cylinders. I know absolutly nothing about diesels.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

that is the swap I am talking about...

mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

Check this out,
http://motorcyclecity.com/Military-bike ... wasaki.htm

120 MPG and 80 MPH ! USMC spec KLX 650 Kawasaki.
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

Try looking for a VW rabbit pick up. 45 MPG and fairly dependable. What did ya do Matt.... extend the comute. :finger: 70 in a EB to much for ya :confused: :redneck:
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

The rising gas prices have me torqued. This summer isn't going to be good. Long gone are the weekend road trips. :frown:

I'd really like a small diesel. That salesman was saying something about a hybrid and I was walking away :laugh: :laugh:

Of course I would never buy new anyway.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

if you realy ready to buy and you know what you want see if there are any auctions around. I have a friend who is a dealer and he can get stuff for way less then blue book. some of those auctions are dealer only and some are open to the public. here we have a realy good one that does it all and even lets the public bid on repos...that is where you tend to get the better deals because the bank just wants to get them gone.

my friend picked up a 02 f250 with a v10 for $5600 from that auction and sold it at another auction for $7300 he even drove it for a month...

Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

the cummins 4 cly is just a cummins 6 with two cylinders cut off. I love my cummins in my dodge if i could just get a good tranny behind it i would be set.
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

DBrown wrote: my friend picked up a 02 f250 with a v10 for $5600 from that auction and sold it at another auction for $7300 he even drove it for a month...
The V-10 and he drove it for a month, he spent the $1700 on fuel ! We have a V10 at work and it's a POS that eats fuel.

Why a diesel??? My little Honda is getting 35 now with me driving it like I stole it. IMO the diesel market is chalked full of idiots over paying for the TDI VW so that they can save some money at the pumps.
Ranger 5.o, needing another project like Rosie O'Donnell needs another M&M.
OffroadBEAR

Post by OffroadBEAR »

Yeah, the b series cummins motors are pretty much the same, minus two cylinders. Also, look for 70's and early 80's mercedes benz diesel cars. Many people would rather pawn them off on somebody than just give them a paint job and bondo, and the drivetrains are good for a really really long time. My mom had one, could fill the tank up only once a month. Something else to look into, get a diesel car like a jetta or whatever, and convert it to run on used veggie oil. You get that shit from McDonalds for free. Same economy and power, and its free fuel. Kits for the conversion are kinda expensive, but I bet a homebrew one can be thrown together for much less. The main thing is that the tank has to be heated, but if you have good fabrication skills, like most of the people here, its not much of a challenge.

Another fun swap would be a 70's mercedes 4cyl or 5cyl diesel, then came NA or turbo.

edit: Got any info about that diesel from a frito-lay truck in an EB? That would be cool!
88 BII XLT 2.9/5spd/4x4 Lemans 31x10.5s