So I went to the Ford dealer.....

What's new? Come on in and get to know the other Bronco II enthusiasts on the Forum.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

there are a bunch of people doing it over on classicbroncos.com that is where I saw it. you could find some info with a search over there...
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
OffroadBEAR

Post by OffroadBEAR »

cool website. I haven't found anything about it, but I know where to look for a solid front axle, they have a nice for sale section, and some guy in florida is giving away a D30. Sucks for me, I am cursed with living in oklahoma, in the middle of everything, and it seems that everyone is up north, west coast or east coast, no one in my area. (Free dana 30 would kick ass, I could do the SAS, and either look for a 44 or just get the parts to convert the 30 to a 44, aren't the housings the same? I could get the other parts elsewhere for a decent price)

edit:
Ok, after a little looking, so its basically a 4BT swap, cool. I mentioned the mercedes diesel swap, and saw someone else mention it on a thread also. I have seen that done a long time ago into an old european nissan 2door SUV, gave plenty of power and mileage too.
88 BII XLT 2.9/5spd/4x4 Lemans 31x10.5s
85ranger4x4

Post by 85ranger4x4 »

Bethany and I bought an 84 Jetta turbo diesel and converted it to run B100. It costs just as much as regular diesel and has 0 petrolium in it. The ranger doesn't move much anymore...
http://groups.msn.com/bellinghamdualsportriders

85 Longbed 4x4
94 4.0L V6, 4.56 welded rear, L/S front, 32" MTRs
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

85ranger4x4 wrote:Bethany and I bought an 84 Jetta turbo diesel and converted it to run B100. It costs just as much as regular diesel and has 0 petrolium in it. The ranger doesn't move much anymore...
You mean 94? I've been looking into Jetta TDI's, but damn they are hard to find......and expensive. I'm worried about getting an older one because I know turbos can be troublesome if not taken care of.

Where do you buy the B100? What kind of mileage are you getting?

You and Bethany are?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

EBSTEVE wrote: Why a diesel??? My little Honda is getting 35 now with me driving it like I stole it. IMO the diesel market is chalked full of idiots over paying for the TDI VW so that they can save some money at the pumps.
I'm leaving all my options open, but I need to find something. I would like to learn more about the Bio Diesel and stuff.

35 is good, but it's not great. I thought a lot of these small cars did better than that. But they all seem to top out around 35. I think a diesel can do close to 50mpg on a good day. So if I have to buy some stupid car, I'd at least like to maximize my mileage. Of course, a POS honda sounds pretty good.
bigdog

Post by bigdog »

i can see why yall want the hondas and vw but that aint goin to change the fact we gettin rapped on gas now days i had a honda civic i got 40mpg with it but that did no justice to any thang to me i went to a bii v6 spent more on gas but it was 4x4 but the power wasnt there so i went to a fullsize bronco 351 v8 ya it holds 80$ in gas and i cant get threw the week on that 80$ but that has the power and everythang i want i aint givin in to this bs gas shit they want you to stop driven so much the hell with that like its a crime they need to worry about drugs and murders not how much we drive the goverment is so screwed up now days all about the money!!!!!!!!!!!! :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
lay wib it dont play wib it
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

The latest issue of Popular Mechanics has a comparison of several alternate fuels including E85 and B100.

Our (USA) annual consumption of diesel/gasoline is 200 billion gallons !

This article was in the Seattle Times a while back;

Reactor converts vegetable oil into biodiesel
By William McCall

The Associated Press

PORTLAND — A tiny chemical reactor that can convert vegetable oil directly into biodiesel could help farmers turn some of their crops into homegrown fuel to operate agricultural equipment instead of relying on costly imported oil.

"This is all about producing energy in such a way that it liberates people," said Goran Jovanovic, a chemical-engineering professor at Oregon State University who developed the microreactor.

The device — about the size of a credit card — pumps vegetable oil and alcohol through tiny parallel channels, each smaller than a human hair, to convert the oil into biodiesel almost instantly.

By comparison, it takes more than a day to produce biodiesel with current technology.

Conventional production involves dissolving a catalyst, such as sodium hydroxide, in alcohol, then stirring it into vegetable oil in large vats for about two hours.

The mixture then has to sit for 12 to 24 hours, while a slow chemical reaction forms biodiesel along with glycerin, a byproduct.

The glycerin is separated and can be used to make other products, such as soaps.

But it still contains the chemical catalyst, which must be neutralized and removed using hydrochloric acid — a long and costly process.

The microreactor under development by the university and the Oregon Nanoscience and Microtechnologies Institute eliminates the mixing, the standing time and maybe even the need for a catalyst.

"If we're successful with this, nobody will ever make biodiesel any other way," Jovanovic said.

The device is small, but it can be stacked in banks to increase production levels to the volume required for commercial use, he said.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

bigdog wrote:i can see why yall want the hondas and vw but that aint goin to change the fact we gettin rapped on gas now days i had a honda civic i got 40mpg with it but that did no justice to any thang to me i went to a bii v6 spent more on gas but it was 4x4 but the power wasnt there so i went to a fullsize bronco 351 v8 ya it holds 80$ in gas and i cant get threw the week on that 80$ but that has the power and everythang i want i aint givin in to this bs gas shit they want you to stop driven so much the hell with that like its a crime they need to worry about drugs and murders not how much we drive the goverment is so screwed up now days all about the money!!!!!!!!!!!! :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
I hate it as much as you. After all, I own three vehicles, all with V8's. Unfortunately, the gas prices are impacting my quality of life. If I want to load up the family and take a weekend road trip, I watch my bank account drop as we cruise down the freeway. I wish I had a choice. I rather enjoy driving my EB to work everyday.

Last year I went out in the puget sound fishing with friend. I about died when he put $400 in the tank at the end of the day. Something is going to have to give.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

mccutcheon4 wrote: This article was in the Seattle Times a while back;

Reactor converts vegetable oil into biodiesel
By William McCall
Flux Capacitor :idea:

Sounds pretty cool. I think I've heard of it before. Sign me up. Be nice if I could toss in my lawn clippings.
bigdog

Post by bigdog »

yep i under stand nobody its just a rip off the way there doin this shit i mean im 20 got a good job and helthy but the older people are tring to deside on persciptions or gas that aint a life i want, something does need to give on this gas shit
lay wib it dont play wib it
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

The new popularity contest of owning a diesel PU is why the diesel went up so high. Diesel are ment to be worked not to be daily drivers, Besides the fact I couldn't afford the extra 10 grand for a diesel pu, I knew the truck would do mainly local driving, and I didn't want the extra maintenance costs, another plus is that I can sit and talk to someone without having to shut my truck off. I bought a gasser.

Did anyone ever wonder why you couldn't by a 454 or a 460 with a turbo from the factory. Diesel :puke: .
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

hay all i know is that my brothers diesel can blow a twin turbo rx7 away in a drag race! My dodge can out pull any stock truck out there and i have over 200k and im getting 20 mpg! cant do that with a gasser. Now i would never build a wheeler with a diesel its just stupid to heavy and not much rpm range.
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

A 454 or 460 with a turbo ! Now that's what I'm talking about ! The insurance industry would shit themselves !
The reason I am interested in diesels is simple, B100 could slash our dependence on :flipoff: middle east oil imports. Another reason is E85 and B100 would make our farmers very popular again. I read it would take 71 percent of our 938 million farm acres to produce enough E85 and B100 to be totally energy self sufficient in the USA.
The truth is we can not, at this point, dedicate 71 percent of our farm land to produce alternate fuels, we can however cultivate new farm land in the interior states to produce those fuels. The new jobs would be welcomed in those areas with open arms.
I have read that irrigation would be a problem for those farms. The USA :usa: could build desalinization plants to purify and pump sea water inland to solve the irrigation issue. More jobs. Mexico has done it for years. So can we. In the early 80s I worked on the Alaska pipe line, the oil companies built huge pumping and heating modules that pumped thick crude from way the hell up north to refineries many, many miles away. Pumping water would be snap compared to crude.
Sorry guys, I'm off my soap box now.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

i totally agree with what you say and it would make way more sense to be able to keep are selfs up and going and not give those bastards any more of are money!
85ranger4x4

Post by 85ranger4x4 »

Nobody wrote:
85ranger4x4 wrote:Bethany and I bought an 84 Jetta turbo diesel and converted it to run B100. It costs just as much as regular diesel and has 0 petrolium in it. The ranger doesn't move much anymore...
You mean 94? I've been looking into Jetta TDI's, but damn they are hard to find......and expensive. I'm worried about getting an older one because I know turbos can be troublesome if not taken care of.

Where do you buy the B100? What kind of mileage are you getting?

You and Bethany are?
Nope, I meant 84. I havn't heard anything bad about the turbos, I have heard that so long as you keep up on oil changes and let them cool after high speed/high load driving before shutting them down they will last over 300k miles. I am 95% sure that our car is on its second engine but the body has 393k on it!!

The Jetta (or Zee Jerman as I call it) is in REALLY great shape for its age/milege. The interior was a bit moldy when we got it but a $100 detail job fixed that ALL up. It even smells nice inside now. It cost us $1500, we picked it up from some desiel mechanics who had bought it cheap and fixed it up. New timing belt, timed injection pump, fresh fluids, checked glow plug system, etc. Not a bad deal at all, we really love the car and have already put close to 3000 miles on it already.

Every Sat some guys come up from Mt Vernon and sell B100 from a trailer. Their company is "whole energy" and they are good guys. They brew it themselves. Zee Jerman is consistently returning 40mpg +/- 5mpg(on B100) depending on weather and type of driving. B100 actaully has 10-15% less power potential than petrolium diesel so it also gets a little worse fuel milege. Another thing to be aware of is that B100 gells around 32degrees so during the colder months it is a good idea to mix it 50/50 with petro diesel so that your car still runs :)

Bethany and I are still just dating, close to 3.5 years now, we do have a cat now though.

How's your daughter? You guys can come up to B-ham some time and take a ride/drive in Zee Jerman to get a taste of some USA, home-grown, whole energy.
http://groups.msn.com/bellinghamdualsportriders

85 Longbed 4x4
94 4.0L V6, 4.56 welded rear, L/S front, 32" MTRs