What to do first?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.

What to buy first?

Lockright for $300.
75%
33/13.5" LTBs in rear for $320 installed.
25%

Total votes: 4

Bronco19

What to do first?

Post by Bronco19 »

I'm a little unsure exactly what I should do first. I'm wanting to hit the trails and not look like a total idiot. Right now I have 33/12.5" street tires on a 2wd B2. Only a 3inch body lift for ride height. What should I do first? I'm on about a $400 budget right now. I'll have quite a bit more soon. Should I go with:
:D A lockright in the rear for $300
;) 33/13/5" LTBs in back for $320 installed. I will buy FR tires soon after if I go with this option.
Either way I'm gonna get a Hi-Jack to use as a winch.
Thanks guys
1989 2wd B2 xlt,5-speed,3in body lift,33/12.5" tires,Kenwood system. Future:D35,8.8 ,33/13.5" LTBs, 6" Skyjacker
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

being that your a 2 wd then i would say go with the locker because that will make the hugest differance!
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

well the locker would help, but I wouldn't spend a dime on the 7.5. BII parts are cheap....you might be able to convert to 4x4. remember that all BII's have transfer casses, even the 2wd's. they are dummies, you just swap in the other case and swap in the TTB front. personaly I would convert to solid axle.....but if you are not looking to go evtreme, then stick with the stock stuff.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

My vote goes to the tires. I agree with Dbrown and wouldn't sink any money into the 7.5. Also, I don't recommend lockrights for rear applications.

The lockright will get you further down the trail than tires, but wheelin a 2wd is a joke. I'd be looking for 4wd before sinking money into anything else.

I take back the question!

Post by Guest »

I talked with my older cousin whose built numerous trucks and decided that I'm going to put 8.8 and D35 from a 90'-93' Ranger on my B2. This is the cheapest way to go and I don't want any bigger than 33" tires. At least for now! I'm currently looking for a donor. I'm in the NE Florida area if anyone knows of something. Tomorrow I'll call all the junkyards in the area. I'm going to go with radials after the swap. The Centennial Mud Campaigner looks cool. Its lugs are farther apart than TSLs or LTBs. Check it out. Go to www.ebaymotors.com and type mud campaigner in the search. Thanks for the advice though.
PHROX

Post by PHROX »

hmmm, interesting, what i would do is take the 300 bucks and find an old beater with 4wheel drive. and wheel that around. getting 4wd should be your first shot if you are going to go wheeling. second would be the locker unless you are planning on swaping out the rear for a bigger axel. but just as a warning the locker costs a bit to install. and unless you know what you are going I wouldnt mess with the diff yourself.
1987 Bronco2, d44/9" locked, sweet paint job. Now with available 5.0

What I came up with

Post by Guest »

Went to the junkyard today. I Found a pre 1989 Ranger with 2.9L, The 5-speed trans with manual T-case.Same Trans I got. It has 3.55 gears.My B2 has 3.45 gears. Finally It has D28 and 7.5"limited slip. My axle is open. The truck is basically all there. Nice tires and rims. Even has a body lift and blocks in rear. Couldn't tell how they lifted the front though. Looks like it might be an actual drop bracket lift. What do ya'll think? He wants $500 for the whole thing. Will the stock D28 and 7.5" hold up on 33"s in the mud and sand?
Bronco19

Forgot to sign in.

Post by Bronco19 »

Thought I was signed in. Anyway, those guests posts were mine.
1989 2wd B2 xlt,5-speed,3in body lift,33/12.5" tires,Kenwood system. Future:D35,8.8 ,33/13.5" LTBs, 6" Skyjacker
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Mud+33's+D28=broke parts and 2wd. Wait for d35/8.8. Wait atleast for the d35. You will be happy you did.