BRONCO II ENGINE SWAP

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
BRONCBOB89

BRONCO II ENGINE SWAP

Post by BRONCBOB89 »

Hi, I'm new to this site so hope I'm doing this right. Has anyone out there ever tried putting o 4.0 liter in an 89 Bronco II ? The 4.0 would be out of a wrecked 91 Ford Explorer so I have access to anywire harnesses and other small parts that I would need. Both cars have the push button 4 wheel drive and I have already swapped the trans. I also would have to be able to pass E-Check. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bob
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

BRONCBOB89

BRONCO II ENGINE SWAP

Post by BRONCBOB89 »

Thanks Nobody for directing me to DBrowns article on the 4.0 swap. Lots of good info. Seems like it's doable but I'm not sure if it would pass our mandatory emission check. I'll have to see if I can find any info on that.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

which state you in? Even CA requires that the engine come from a same year or newer (unless it has changed) and able to pass the sniffer test. Most EFI engines should pass those no problem.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

you have some options on some stuff but it will bolt right in. the only real things i ran into was wiring and fuel lines. but if you know what you are doing they can be worked out pretty easy.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
OCD4B2

Post by OCD4B2 »

which state you in? Even CA requires that the engine come from a same year or newer
Yeap in CA this applies to every vehicle as far as I know. But actually I think that the earlier 70 vehicles, not stock with emissions equipment, should be ok. But this is a later vehicle so same year or newer applies. If you have a Ford Explorer then everything is ok. Those trucks weren't made when the B2's ran so it should be great, they only come newer :D . Still check in with some people though, you mights miss a few quirks.
pass the sniffer test
What is this?
230,000 miles and she still turns heads
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

from what I here it is 74 and older is emissions exempt.

the sniffer is the emissions test.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com