lower rad hose

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
broncoo

lower rad hose

Post by broncoo »

for those of you that did the 5.0L swap what did you use for a lower rad hose? i don't really want any unions in my hose but am havin trouble finding one that will fit

btw i only have 2.25" from the edge of my rad outlet to the pully on my swapped in saginaw pump
broncoo

Post by broncoo »

anyone ever use this stuff?
http://www.coolflex.com/cfm/welcome.cfm
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I had to splice 2 hoses together. I really really didn't want to do it at the time, but I was sick of looking for something that would work.

Now 4years later, and a hell of a lot of wheelin and daily driving, I wouldn't think twice about it. It's been working great. In fact I need to do a radiator flush.

At the time, I think I tried some flex hose. It worked to get from point A to point B, but it wouldn't hold shape to clear the power steering belt. The stuff in the link might work a little better.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

yeah i had to use three hoses for mine on the bottom.
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

I had a problem on a previous setup and I took a 1 3/4 x .120 wall bend and cut the inside, bent it more and welded it up to make it tighter. Then I used a small chunk of hose from the rad to the tube back to hose to the water pump. I also welded a bracket off of the tube to hold it in place because it was only about 1/4" away. Worked well for a few years till the entire thing was swapped out.
HTH
broncoo

Post by broncoo »

so you guys just used 1.75" tube

we have 1.75" .0625 s/s at my work maybe i'll use that
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I used something from the plumbing section...I think it was a threaded piece of galvanized tube. I figured the threads would help it seal. It's been perfect. Not sure how it's holding up corrosion wise, but I expect it's fine.

The hose from the water pump is from a 77 granada (my engine donor). It almost worked, but the radiator outlet was the the wrong size, I think 1.75". I believe it's 1.5" off the waterpump. I think 5.0L are 1.75 off the waterpump. I main reason I had to splice was to get the right size on the hose. I don't recall what hose I used for that. I'll try and dig it up. Does your outlet come off the radiator at a 45*?

broncoo

Post by broncoo »

i guessi coulda posted pics and yeah my water pump inlet is 1.75"

what i'm thinkin i'm gonna do is use some 1.75" ss tube then tig a bead all the way round to help retain the rad hose i'm thinkin it'll work especially sicne i'm cheap
Attachments
P6180006.JPG
P6180010.JPG
P6180009.JPG
P6180008.JPG
P6180007.JPG
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Looks similar to what I had to work with. I seem to remember there being a hose that might work for the 1.75" water pumps. I think the V8 ranger guys use it. Not sure what radiator those guys use....I'm talking about 2wd racers.

Did you have to modify that sag bracket?
marinebroncoii

Post by marinebroncoii »

I've asked my dad to take some pics of mine, it was even close to the pulley but I got it to work without joining two together. I don't even remember how now but I know I did buy like 5 or 6 hoses to take home and try that I thought might work and one of them did. I just went behind the counter at autozone and looked through all their hoses. I'll post pics when/if I get them.
8-9" susp, 3" body lift, 39.5x16 TRXUS STS, 342 stroker, C6, NP205, D44HD mini spool-coil sprung, D60 limited slip, 4.88s
broncoo

Post by broncoo »

no i did not have to modify the sag braket at all the pullys lined up perfect
all i did was blast it and cut the a/c pump portion of it off since i will be doin the scuba tank thing
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Do you recall what vehicle that bracket came off of? I was looking into a serp setup awhile back, but didn't want to do it if I couldn't get the saginaw and OBA back on.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

BTW - What ever happened to the rear radiator?
broncoo

Post by broncoo »

the saginaw pump and bracket was off a 88 ford van can't remember if it was a E150,250 or 350 tho

as for the rear rad i have too much $$ into my engine to risk it and i decided the rear rad just took up too much room in back cargo wise
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

I did put a bead on it to help keep the hose on. I also coated it with something to keep it from rusting, but I don't recall what it was, it was fine when removed after about three years.

The brackets are fairly common at pull a part, I had one that I butchered :devil: for my setup before I realized it would not work. You would still have to adapt the York to the bracket but it's a piece of cake.