Does Dana 35 off Explorer work on 89B2?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Bronco19

About the D35

Post by Bronco19 »

Thanks NakedDucks for clearing us up. I plan on a 6in Skyjacker lift so I guess I'll have to wait on the D35 until I get that. That would take care of the driver side bracket and I don't think the 1" shortening on the driveshaft would apply to my 2wd.

I live in Florida so I've never so much as seen a real rock. That rules out me needing a solid axle. Besides this is my daily driver for right now. I am going to go with a 8.8" from an Explorer though. I think this would be sufficient for Trails,mud,and sand.
1989 2wd B2 xlt,5-speed,3in body lift,33/12.5" tires,Kenwood system. Future:D35,8.8 ,33/13.5" LTBs, 6" Skyjacker
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

If thats all you plan on doing, then yes you should be fine with the d35. The 8.8 is a good add on as well. Only the spring perches need to be welded to the top of the tube. Not too hard a job. Good luck.
NakedDucks

Post by NakedDucks »

Yes...a 6" skyJacker would definatly take care of shortening it buy 1"

Blue...Calm down dude. Sometimes things get crossed, and interprited the wrong way.

RMyers....unless you know the whole damn story, I would keep my mouth closed about other peoples problems, and bullsh*t that is "thought" they own...I wish I did own a junkyard like RedShred thinks I do....

But to both of you guys...no harm no foul.

The fact is......Matt swapped servers, and just like TRS, the old list got dropped and I just hadn't re-registered. :finger:
Blue_coyote

Post by Blue_coyote »

NakedDucks wrote: Blue...Calm down dude. Sometimes things get crossed, and interprited the wrong way.
My comment to ya was mostly just for the entertainment, and a slight poke at ya over how some of your posts at TRS came across. If you want to see me UN-calm, check out a couple of my recent posts at BlueOvalNews. Rereading my posts in this thread though, I think I was nicer to you than I was to a certain other ......................Oh, and quite honestly, who gives a flung monkey dung what Pinkshred thinks of ya :redneck:

For future reference, though, using excessive bold face, large font bright red text when you tell someone they're wrong is generally kinda like yelling with a bullhorn...and not much open to mis-interpretation.

That's okay though. I'm not going to sweat it. Its not like any of us is likely to reach out of anyone's monitor and bitch-slap anyone over it.

Its all good :redneck: :finger: :redneck:
:redneck: RRORC CA-W region rep :redneck:
87 Ranger
85 BII
78 T-top Mustang II
some MTBs
NakedDucks

Post by NakedDucks »

Cool....likeke I said...no harn...no foul
89b24x4project

Post by 89b24x4project »

what abput a dana 44 off of a jeep Cherokee work on an 89 b 2 4x4
89b24x4project

Post by 89b24x4project »

89b24x4project wrote:what abput a dana 44 off of a jeep Cherokee work on an 89 b 2 4x4

ok im an idiot that doesnt make sense it should say will a dana 44 off of a jeep cherokee work on a 89 bronco II 4x4
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

If its a later model cherokee and drivers side drop then yes.
89b24x4project

Post by 89b24x4project »

so what years should i look for or where do yall think the best truck to get one off of would be ???
Bronco19

About the D35

Post by Bronco19 »

I've decided to shift my search efforts to looking for a 90'-93' Ranger. That way I would need no fab for the 8.8 axle and they are a little more numerous. Does the same go for a D35 off a Ranger? Will swapping the driver side bracket with the one on the Ranger make the 35 work? Does the driveshaft still need to be shortened? Will I need to use the Rangers Transmission in order to bolt up the T-case? My cousin said that some trans have a long shaft coming out into the t-case and I would need there trans if this is the case.
Thanks
1989 2wd B2 xlt,5-speed,3in body lift,33/12.5" tires,Kenwood system. Future:D35,8.8 ,33/13.5" LTBs, 6" Skyjacker
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Well if you could find the ranger with the drivetrain then take the transfer case front driveshaft and D35 axle. If the ranger is a 4.0 then grab that as well for a little better motor while you are at it.
Bronco19

About the D35

Post by Bronco19 »

So phillipi, your saying that if I get the T-case, front drive shaft and the D35 with the drivers side bracket no fab work is needed?
This was my plan!
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

The only problem i could see is front drive shaft length. If you get the tcase from a similar setup (like you have a 5 speed and the ranger is 5 speed same tranny) then it should just all bolt up. If they are different measure the distance from the dummy tcase to front axle, and then from tcase to front axel on the ranger. See if they are close.

OR, just install the tcase, front axle and then see if the shafts are close. If not have then cut or lengthened. I hope that didnt confuse you.
Bronco19

Post by Bronco19 »

No, I follow you. That's what I'll do. I'll be on the phone tomorrow checking the local junkyards. Thanks for all the help.
Happy_Jack

Post by Happy_Jack »

Just some measurements I took off the X 8.8 under my 84. Axle width from the surface of where the wheel makes contact is 59 1/4". Spring center to spring center is just over 40 1/2". I read some where that the Ranger spring center to center is 39". Maybe you or some others could measure your BII's and see what your's measure center to center. If I'm correct then the Ranger spring purches are 1 1/2" too close to gether to be a bolt up under a BII. You would need to cut them off and weld them back on. Rear drive shaft angle would need to be checked and likely adjusted. The purches I cut off the X 8.8 are inside the ones I had welded on for my BII so the spring under X 8.8 is close to the Ranger width.

Also on my 84 I had to have the flange on the back of the rear driveshaft changed to bolt up to the X 8.8 yoke. May not be a problem on your newer model BII but something to double check to be sure.

On the Dana 35 front, get the drag link and tie rod assy with the 35 if you can. I did and I had both when I changed over. The 35 is a much better choice. The 28 might even have to be adjusted out so far as to be un safe.