Does Dana 35 off Explorer work on 89B2?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Bronco19

Does Dana 35 off Explorer work on 89B2?

Post by Bronco19 »

Does anyone know for sure if a Dana 35 from a 91'-94' Explorer is a direct swap for my 89' 2wd B2? I've heard something about the pivot brackets being in different places. Thanks
Blue_coyote

Post by Blue_coyote »

The different placement of pivot brackets on a 2wd is only in the Ranger. All BII's used the 4x4 configuration. 2wd BII I-beams won't fit a 2wd Ranger, but should bolt right up to a 4x4 Ranger (not that it would make sense to do so...)
:redneck: RRORC CA-W region rep :redneck:
87 Ranger
85 BII
78 T-top Mustang II
some MTBs
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

FYI: Some 1990 Bronco II's came from the factory with a Dana 35.
Bronco19

Dana 35 on 89 B2

Post by Bronco19 »

Thanks, Blue coyote. I should have known. I'm sure I've heard that before I just couldn't get my story straight because I heard it at www.TheRangerstation.com and they were talking about a D35 on a Ranger. I plan on getting a Dana 35 and a 8.8 from an Explorer for my B2 before too long.
Later
Blue_coyote

Re: Dana 35 on 89 B2

Post by Blue_coyote »

Bronco19 wrote: I just couldn't get my story straight because I heard it at www.TheRangerstation.com
Uhm..........no, I'm not gonna touch THAT one :redneck: (YAY! Finally got my favourite smiley!)

The nice thing about converting a BII is that usually they have the "dummy" T-case, so you get to save the cost of a tranny swap as well as rear driveshaft.

You might even be able to sell off the BII 2wd I-beams over at RPS. There is a small group over there who lower BIIs, and the 2wd BII beams are not easy to find...

:redneck: :redneck: :redneck:
87 Ranger
85 BII
78 T-top Mustang II
some MTBs
Bronco19

What is RPS?

Post by Bronco19 »

What is RPS? I've never heard of it. :eek:
1989 2wd B2 xlt,5-speed,3in body lift,33/12.5" tires,Kenwood system. Future:D35,8.8 ,33/13.5" LTBs, 6" Skyjacker
Blue_coyote

Post by Blue_coyote »

RangerPowerSports.com

Kinda like TRS, but they don't wear their panties quite so tight. A bit more oriented towards stock height and lowering, but a decent site none the less. They also have a sister-site, offroadrangers.....
87 Ranger
85 BII
78 T-top Mustang II
some MTBs

Post by Guest »

Blue_coyote wrote:The different placement of pivot brackets on a 2wd is only in the Ranger.
Ummmm no!!! YOU ARE WRONG, AND WHEN HE GOES TO SWAP IT IN LIKE YOU SAID, HE WILL SEE IT.

The bracket that holds on the right axle (but bolts to the drivers side) is VERY different and unique only to a 2wd Bronco II. Swap this single bracket to a 4wd version and it is THEN and ONLY THEN a direct swap. If your Bronco is ALREADY a 4wd, then this point is no longer valid and should be ignored.

His driveshaft will also have to be shortened by NO LESS THAN 1" depending on the tranny. But since it is an 89, then it is only 1" no matter what tranny he has (A4LD or FM146)

Also. You can't just swap in a live front axle on a Ranger. The motor cradle (what the axle bolts to ) is VERY DIFFERENT between a 2wd and a 4wd Ranger. Yes, it can be swapped out as well, but it invloves pulling the motor, and (in some cases) redoing your motor mounts (This is mostly for Gen 2 (89-92) 4wd Rangers that had a 3.0 as they don't have the correct holes drilled out. But 4wd's w/ that motor are rare anyway.)

Also, FWIW. The 8.8 fromn Explorer will need the spring perches redone. An Explorer is sprung under while a B2 is over sprung. Disc Brakes started in 95....unfortunatly, that is also the year Exporers went over to the SLA suspension, so you can't get a matching set of axles from the same vehicle if you want 4-wheel discs.

Post by Guest »

BTW.......My username is NakedDucks, and I am having a problem logging in.
Blue_coyote

Post by Blue_coyote »

Okay, so the one PIVOT BRACKET is different. I stand corrected. Placement is the same, though. But no engine X-member swap is required the way it is in a Ranger. And I don't know about yours, but my engine doesn't have a "cradle". Its all grown up, and uses a crossmember (or "X-member" for short form)

Most times a single inch won't make much difference on a front shaft. Besides, since it is currently a 2wd BII, he doesn't currently have ANY front driveshaft to shorten, does he? And front shafts are a dime a dozen at wreckers in any case.

Uhm, where the Hell did swapping a live axle into a Ranger come into it? I seem to recall the question being a D35 into a BII, and I already mentioned that the 4x4 and 4x2 Ranger configurations are different....

And FWIW, I wouldn't bother with the 8.8 swap (from an Explorer or otherwise) unless its going into a fairly dedicated trail rig anyway. And if its a dedicated trail rig then there will probably be a bit of lift wanted as well, which would negate the 1" front shaft length issue entirely anyway.

On the logging in problem, its probably the software's anti-trolling function... :redneck:
87 Ranger
85 BII
78 T-top Mustang II
some MTBs
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

Blue_coyote wrote:
On the logging in problem, its probably the software's anti-trolling function... :redneck:
Or it could be the same deal that keeps you from posting elswhere.
88 BII,4.0, 9"& D44/4.88 locked. 1350/1354 doubles
92 XJ-wifes toy
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

the main differences I saw in the 2wd ranger and the BII driverside x member bracket was at that area the x member came out more which would stop you from installing the 4x4 bracket. but, if you have the kind of lift that relocates it lower with a steel plate on the inside of the x member that will not be a problem........what will be a problem is if you pick the wrong springs and smash a whole in the 3rd member of your D35/28.

what has me confused is.......why waist time with the TTB? ok it is a good system for trail riding and on road, but the SAS is just as easy and can cost you the same amount with better results then building a TTB.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Blue_coyote

Post by Blue_coyote »

rmyers2051 wrote:
Or it could be the same deal that keeps you from posting elswhere.
Not possible. AFAIK, none of the mods here have head-up-their-own-rectum syndrome the way Redshred/Muddy Juggalo does. Besides, I've never been "officially" banned from either 2XO or TRS. I left 2XO 100% voluntarily (and I can/have logged in there several times since I stopped contributing there), and my account was "locked" at TRS (which according to Jim is a completely different thing) Never had so much as a "time out" at ANY site I've been a regular at, and never been accused of trolling at any site including the two I am not welcome at.
87 Ranger
85 BII
78 T-top Mustang II
some MTBs
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Blue_coyote wrote: Not possible. AFAIK, none of the mods here have head-up-their-own-rectum syndrome the way Redshred/Muddy Juggalo does.
Im sure Matt (Nobody), Dbrown agree with me when I say, as long as the bashing doesnt take away from the topic and the language is the same as you would find in a 4x4 shop then who cares. Atleast thats how I view it.

As far as the TTB swap, I would find out what you plan on doing with it and deside if a SAS is needed. If you only plan on mild 4x4 and trail running then TTB is great. If you ever think that you will get into more wild side of 4x4 then go SAS now. Just my $.02 worth. :D
Last edited by Phillippi on Sat May 15, 2004 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blue_coyote

Post by Blue_coyote »

Phillippi wrote: Im sure Matt (Nobody), Dbrown agree with me when I say, as long as the bashing doesnt take away from the topic and the language is the same as you would find in a 4x4 shop then who cares. Atleast thats how I view it.
Fair enough.
But just an FYI: I keep things WAY tamer on the net than when I'm in the average 4x4 shop. I have been in shops that were government certified, yet passing around a joint or bringing in a six-pack and a truly foul mouth (I'm talking: this language wouldn't fly at either pirate OR at RRORC)is fair game any time after about 3 pm. Its usually not quite that extreme, and certainly not every day, but it happens....This IS the west coast of Canada I'm talking about here, eh?

:redneck:

The biggest reason to keep TTB is because you don't need to fab anything to put it in. Not having a welder, when I feel the need to upgrade again, I'll probably keep the TTB.
87 Ranger
85 BII
78 T-top Mustang II
some MTBs