Flip'n a toyota?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
NightKrawler

Flip'n a toyota?

Post by NightKrawler »

Posibility or crazy idea?

Do you guyz think this is possible? Could you take a 30 spline toyota front axle and flip it then flip the 3rd to match? You would of course also have to flip everything else. My thought is the front and rear axles are very similar and infact the 3rd's are the same I beleive with the exception of forward and reverse cut gears. I also think the dif housing is semetrical so the 3rd itself ot to be able to mount in there right side up or up side down. Of course you would want to do all of this while you are completely rebuilding the axle.

Thoughts? Coments? Your fucking mad NK! :laugh:
85 B2 Locked front/rear D35 TTB 5.13's, Ex 8.8", 35" MT's, 15x8 Steel, 3" Duff Lift & 3" BL.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I don't know much about toyota's, but why would you want birfields?

They are also kingpin, so you would have to cut the ends off and flip them.

If you really wanted to run a yota axle, I think you'd be better off leaving the axle alone, and instead try to adapt a yota transfercase. They can be doubled easy too.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

i cant remimber if the bolt pattern is the same on both sides but it might be. your biggest problem will the angle of the knuckles because i think they are put at an angle like this /===()=\ to make for a better steering. you can cut the knuckles and flip them but thats alot of work. we used to turn the knuckles at this place i used to work at. As for the birfilds they are really strong! just about as strong as a dana 44 but when you turn your wheel they are a little weaker then a 44 and strait they are stronger then a 44. i wouldnt do it unless you get a free axle. you might want to look at jeep front axles or just pay it once and do it right and get an EB axles sense you want to keep the stock width.