lifters knocking

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
warrengl

lifters knocking

Post by warrengl »

I have lifters making a clicking sound on a 90 B II. What can I do to quiet them without replacing them. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks Gary
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

what weight oil you running? if you run 10w30 try 10w40. when you use a heavier weight oil you will get more pressure and sometimes get rid of those annoying little knocks and ticks.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
warrengl

lifters knocking

Post by warrengl »

I am running 20W50oil right now. Are they adjustable or will lifter quiet work in it. If not, do you have any suggestions. I do not want to replace them since I only paid $500 for the vehicle. Thanks for the response.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

The 2.9L lifter tick is pretty common. They are hydraulic, so they aren't adjustable. Does it go away when warm?
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

if you are already running 20w50 then I would say deal with it untill the motor dies. that means it has probably already been done to help the bottom end and there is not much life left anyways. now I not saying that you will not get 10,000-20,000 more miles out of it, but it has had a long life already and spending a couple hundred bucks to fix it will only cost you money to fix a top end that the bottom end might fail soon after the fix.

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I agree, I wouldn't recommned throwing money at it. You can probably find a very decent used engine for $400 or so. Run her till she dies.
B2JAY

Lucas

Post by B2JAY »

Lucas oil additive some times works if your lifters are lazy. It cost about $8-10 bucks for a bottle but it sometimes it will do the job because it has a lot of detergents in it that clean along with keeping everything lubed. I add some after every oil change. Good luck and if your rig is 4x4 spend the money for a rebuild for the top and bottom, its worth it. Do your homework and find a reputable shop and it should run around $1200-1600
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

for $1200-$1600 you could have a v8, for half that you could have a 4.0L.

warrengl

Post by warrengl »

Usually they will stop knocking after it is warmed up. Sometimes they dont knock at all. I tried the Lucas last oil change and it stopped them from knocking at all for a couple of weeks and then it started again. Thank you all for your suggestions. I dont know a whole lot about this vehicle but I know that it did sit up for 9 or 10 months before I bought it.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

if they sit for awhile lifters can drop. sometimes you can get them to pump up with the oil trick or lucas but not always. unfortunatly the only way to realy fix it is to replace them. that means the heads have to come off, and that is just something you don't want to do with that motor because of the cost of gaskets and lifters and work it takes to get the motor apart.

ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

You should be able to do the job without pulling the heads. but you do have to pull the intake. The cam retaining plate tends to wear out and the oil pressure is then dumped out the front of the cam instead of keeping pressure to the lifters. There is a old post explaining the probelm. I'm not sure if it is still around since it was on the old board. That involves taking the front of the motor off.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.