Drive shaft lengths?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Burnside

Drive shaft lengths?

Post by Burnside »

Alright fellas, I got a 1989 bII with the a4ld and 6" skyjacker lift. d35 front axle, 7.5 rear. I have the tcase from an 84 ranger. the rear driveshaft from that same ranger, and the front driveshaft. If i shorten the rear driveshaft from the ranger to use in the bII, then the drive shaft would be stronger, be the proper length for a 6" lift, and have the right yoke to match up to the tcase. all versus the cv style driveshaft under their rightnow flanged to the 2wd tcase. Could someone tell me the measurement of this? it has the slip yoke in the middle too allow for travel, so could the measurement be at full compression or what? The measurement of the front driveshaft woudl be awesome too. thanks
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

PS just for clarification i'm using the 4x4 tcase from the 84 ranger,
Blue_coyote

Post by Blue_coyote »

The front shaft should be fine as-is (I ran a stock front with 6" in a BII with ZERO problems for a few years).

For the rear, just measure the space from the T-case to the pinion flange and have the rear shaft shortened so that the "at rest" length puts the slip shaft in the middle of its travel....
:redneck: RRORC CA-W region rep :redneck:
87 Ranger
85 BII
78 T-top Mustang II
some MTBs