First time owner, Fuel pump shutting off

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Mindless

First time owner, Fuel pump shutting off

Post by Mindless »

Ok i ran apon this board searching for this question ...You have a similar problem posted but i have a little more info ..

88 Bronco 2 2.9L

Replaced oil pump (idiot light stilll on)
Check engine light on
Since i replaced the oil presure sending switch the other oil light is on now
Replaced starter as i burned it trying to ge it started not realising the pump wasnt coming on (Thought it was flooded?)

Ok My problem is much like the other guy's here, My fuel pump will just shut off after it warms up .. i replaced the "in tank" pump as i could hear "it" (a pump) not working when it started it would whine (the pump) when i turn the key , And wouldnt when it wouldnt start .. Seemed simple right ... Well i replaced the pump as it was the oem pump and it started right up ... Thinking YAY .. too soon tho .. I went back and read the manual for the pump and it said the oil presure sending switch "if bad" would cause the fule pump to shut off .. 5$ part easy to get to so i replaced it too ... Not the problem.

Im kinda at a loss you guys said something about an inertia switch but mine isnt moving when it shuts off .. Or just plain wont start
Does it reste by itself after so long?

Also my check engine light will sometimes go off and it will idle good or run good for the few seconds its off..

I payed 300$ for the truck have droped around 300 into it .. Besides the rebuilt engine i have for it but cant put in yet.

I just need to fix this till i can get around to getting the rebuilt droped in
As i still need to get to work etc.

Also wondering i hear theres a 2nd fuel pump on these ... I went to the parts store and they only have a mechanical and electric one and the electric one is in the tank

Im about to rip the new distributer off my new engine to rule out the tfi? module and gonna check the inertai switch for the hell of it

Any further help would be awsome . This is my first bronco and i cant wait to start enjoying it :-)

Thanks
-Mindless
Mindless

Post by Mindless »

Also unrelated .. My 4wd on the fly button dont work it makes a bunch of clicking noises when pushed but dont light up or shift it into 4wd .. this isnt a concer yet but if anyone knows what i can do .. It would help for when i get the other problem fixed..
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

There is a second fuel pump on the driver side frame rail under the door area of the frame.
If your OP light is on, the system still thinks that there is no pressure, and would kill the fuel pump(if that is actually true). Assuming that is true, I would first address that light and find that problem and go from there.

Also, the other guys are going to tell you to pull codes.
Mindless

Post by Mindless »

Thanks nobody . Im young and pretty poor getting it towed to the auto parts store is kinda outta budget ... I have access to parts and at this point its replace this ...nope ...replace this ....nope . . etc .. I know this is a pain but what can ya do ya know ...

If anyone could through out the top 5 things to replace that may help (buddy has 2 of these just sitting) I have tons of newish parts to run till i figure out the right thing

I really hate bugging ppl like this . As i can usualy afford to pay for this stuff
right now its outta the question to drop 60$ on getting some #'s i dont have any clue what they mean anyway .... Crap i cant even afford the book for it till i can get to work

Thanks again guys
If im a lost cause please just let me know lol
Im waiting on a ride now to check the few sugestions i have sen on here
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

when you say oil sending unit are you talking about the one wire sensor on the side of the block? if so pull the wire off and the light will go out.

the inertia switch is under the dash on the passenger side right above where the carpet stops. push the button on to of the switch that will reset it. if you think it is suspect connect the 2 wires going to it and that will bypass it.....just don't drive it like that to long.

does it run then shut off, or just not start?
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Mindless

Post by Mindless »

It will run till approximately warm. I figured the inertia switchwas triggered somehow it would need reseting to start again at all . But i dont know what it would do if it was going out . But In my situation with spare parts and no money im trying it all lol

Im leaving now to check the few ideas i have seen tossed around

And yes the sending unit on the passenger side of the block
Would taking that wire off be dangerous?
Did you mean take it off and leave it off or pull it to see if it goes off?

Thanks for the replys
This cars a real learning experience
Exhauster

Post by Exhauster »

i would start out checking the fuel pressure.... there is a test tap on the left side fuel rail..... if you don't have a gauge, you can push the shrader valve with your fingernail of small screwdriver. BE CAREFUL THOUGH!!!!! the fuel pressure should be in the 40 lbs range and should spray out... if it just dribbles then the pump is bad or the filter is clogged.. hope this helps... WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!!!!!!
Give a call for a special price on brake or exhaust work Exhaust Tech 253-333-7200
Mindless

Post by Mindless »

Double post sorry
Last edited by Mindless on Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mindless

Post by Mindless »

Hey thanks for the reply .... Well i know theres no presure as the pumps not turning on .. it makes an obvious noise when its on and it starts ;)
I also checked it to make sure its it has presure. When you can hear the pump come on it has presure but it doesnt when you dont hear the pump come on

Also my fuel gauge is coming on and turning off mostly off it doesnt seem related as i have had it running when its not working and sometimes it works and wont run ...

I replaced the module on the distributer no luck there ...
I just had it running for 1/2 hour or so and now it will start but bog out bad like it either isnt getting enough gas or too much.

Another thing i noticed my check engine light dont come on at idle only if i push the gas .

I got to run a diagnostic and it wouldnt start so i got some act +254 f indicated voltage too low
Guy said it is unrelated to the problem

I have the book now but its really no help till i figure out what im looking for . . . . .

Thanks again guys
-Mindless
Mindless

Post by Mindless »

Well i cut that D#$M inertia switch off and it seems ok now ...My check engine light is not on as much now It was allmost allways on b4 ..

Figured i would let ya guys know that so far it restarts every time (bout 5 in a row) ran it for 1/2 hour drove 4 miles shut it off started back up 3 times .. Runs a little rough but a hole in the exaust will do that eh ...

Thanks for taking your time to reply and letting me pick your brain .
If this is does not happen again i will definatly post and let it be known so others with the same problem can learn from it . As i spent hours skimming posts you guys gave advice to and got no reply as to if it worked or not :wtf:

Thanks again you dont know how long ive been troubled by this .
Hope i can help someone here one day :-)

-Mindless
Bob

Post by Bob »

Thats weird.
Iv never heard of a inertia switch, just shutting off without impact.
You said you have exhaust leaks....Any leaks near the inertia switch?
MAYBE if the switch gets hot they shut off to.

I know chevys will kill the fuel pump with a bad OP censor. Actually there in case you get to low of oil pressure you wont run it anyway.

Good to hear your up and running.
www.mybronco2.com
"Silly boys, Jeeps are for girls"
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

you really should check your fuel pressure. for now you can bypass the inertia switch if that was really your problem. might want to pull your plugs and see if they are fouled.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Mindless

Post by Mindless »

I havent had a problem since .... Im thinking the heater was triggering it ? I really didnt test to find out but it did seem to only happen when the heat was on ... When i hook the new one up i'll see if i can reproduce the problem

Also everything plugs/etc are new
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

A new oil pump will not compensate for worn out bearings and the worn out cam retaining plate that the 2.9l is known for. Since this probelm seems to happen when the engine is warm this leads me to believe that is probably the issue. Everything expands when it is warm and oil pressure drops. If you notice when you start a engine cold it has real high pressure until it is warm. You could try Kendall 70W racing oil and see if that keeps the light off. It got an old truck, I used to drive, to have 30 psi @ idle instead of 0 psi. Got me though until the cam went flat. :redneck:
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.