E-brake on t-case

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Bob

E-brake on t-case

Post by Bob »

Anyone have any links to the setup that places a disk brake setup on the back of the t-case?
Iv been on google and not finding much.
I know Iv seen a setup for the D20 someware...
www.mybronco2.com
"Silly boys, Jeeps are for girls"
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Can't help with the driveline brake supplier, but I can say I hate those things. I was soooooo happy when hummers switched to an integrated parking brake on the rear calipers. Brakes belong at the wheel.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

Nobody Posted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:53 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't help with the driveline brake supplier, but I can say I hate those things. I was soooooo happy when hummers switched to an integrated parking brake on the rear calipers. Brakes belong at the wheel.

:hmmm: so what's wrong them???? i need a parking brake on my rig and i was eventually thinking of going with that set up. kick some of that knowledge DEVIL DOG :finger: .
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Well, they never really worked for shit. If you adjusted the brake to actually work, the cable would just stretch. Then the drivers would take off with the brake still on. Then hot chunks of metal would fly off and melt the plastic fuel tank. Then I'd have to fix it all. :rolleyes: Don't even get me started on the glow plugs..... BTW - Hummers don't have "park", only neutral.

Integrated parking brakes are the way to go. Even a line lock. No matter which you choose, none of them ever should be trusted.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

:hmmm: what type of brake is a line lock? dose that lock the tranny? i've heard of it before but i dont know what it is.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Basically it's where a valve is installed on your brakeline. Then you pump the brake and close the valve. The pressure is "locked" in the line and the brakes stay applied.

This setup is used on some forklifts and stuff. Race cars use them too to lock the front wheels so they can get a hard launch. They typically use electric line locks with a switch on the shifter.

The 4 wheelers use them so they can lock one tire to make tight turns.

The only problem is the pressure can bleed off.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

drag racing that's where i heard the term line lock. okay!! :D
can i get a set up for the line lock out of summit or would i have to go to a site to find one?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I think summit sells them. I don't know what's good or not. I'd do a search on pirate and see what you come up with.
Exhauster

Post by Exhauster »

you don't want to use a line lock for a parking brake... they are electric and draw on the battery.... what you want is called a lev-r-lock.... thay usually mount on the dash, it plumbs in to the rear brake lines and basically is a lever operated valve... in one position the brakes work normal, flip the lever and pump the brakes and they hold the rear brakes on... work great as long as you don't have leaks
Give a call for a special price on brake or exhaust work Exhaust Tech 253-333-7200
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

If you have a break on the t-case, what happens when you break a driveline? I think your going up sh** creek. :redneck:
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
Exhauster

Post by Exhauster »

then you throw the t case in 4wd and lock in the hubs..... driveline brakes do suck though.... GM did use them on their motorhome chassis in the late 70's early 80's
Give a call for a special price on brake or exhaust work Exhaust Tech 253-333-7200
offroadohio

Post by offroadohio »

nothin wrogn with my tcase ebrake.... works well... and really helps down hill decents....