shock question

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
DBrown

shock question

Post by DBrown »

I am going to order some shocks this week......so I was wondering what shocks y'all are running and what you think of them. if y'all have part numbers and measurements of what you have it would help also. :cool:
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

My first set were Rancho 5000's and I thought they worked well even though they were oil filled. The rears had tons of travel. My next set was skyjacker nitros, they were gas filled. They didn't have as much travel in the rear and the fronts blew the seals after a couple of airborn launches. The rancho's did not fall to the same demize. They did take some dents though and that was what ruined them. I don't remember the numbers but I ordered them for the 3 inch lift kit that I had.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

i ran ranch 5000 and thought they were over priced and didnt work to good and made alot of noise. I now run pro comp 9000 on everything that i got (but by bronco which runs shocks out of the four wheel parts dumpster). I like them and they are cheap.
B2JAY

Shocks

Post by B2JAY »

Depends on what you want to spend on shocks. If you want a decent shock for not a lot of money you can get a set of ES1000s for about $100 from 4-wheel parts. They are just a tad better than your stock shocks. If you want something a little more extreme, Ranchos are good shocks but 9000s are r :redneck: eally stiff and they're going to cost you a lot more.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I have the Rancho 9000's and I don't like them. They need more dampening on compression. I noticed a definate difference in handling when I pun them on...for the worse. For the most part, I really don't care. I'm like Rockcrawler, I'll run dumpster shocks. I don't think I'll be buying ranchos again.

Since Chevy5.0 brought it up, 3 of them are dented. Although the 2 fronts is from not enough shock mount clearance.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

well, the good thing is I am going to have to fab the shock brackets any way so I was just wanting opinions on what everyone is running. main concern is that I have enough range of motion so I don't limit my suspension at the shocks. I thought ranchos were top of the line, guess I'll just look for cheap. thanks

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Shocks really only make a difference in higher speed applications and street performance. I think you would be pretty happy with just about anything since you're building a trailer queen.

I don't have any recommendations since I haven't really tried anything else. I think Duff makes a long shock. I see no need for you to buy a high end remote reservoir shock if you are only going to be running trails at semi slow speed. Shocks do help with wheel hop and what not, so you don't want to completely ignore them.
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

Hey!!! my Chevy has a 5.7L :finger: Soon to be 6.6L. There goes another set of axles ;)
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I ordered today......superlift's from broncograveyard. they were only like $32 each. they have 10.5" range of motion so we will see if they work well or not. thanks for the advice.

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

hmmm.... that might be a little short, especially on a full width. Rancho 9012's have 12" travel.

Duff has a 15" travel shock.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

well, I figured that since I am fabing my own brackets I could always move them back a little or set it up different. if they end up being a little short I can use them on the tow rig. so no big deal.

OCD4B2

Post by OCD4B2 »

ive got a set of doetsch tech 3000 series shocks..... i like them a lot i could actually feel travel and happiness through my suspension :D
230,000 miles and she still turns heads