wristed arm question's

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
FatMan

wristed arm question's

Post by FatMan »

okay, okay, okay :D

hey nobody i started my arm today did'nt get much done thow. i ground the rivit's off and took a wire brush t the area that's gonna be welded. the auto hobby shop on base out here did'nt have anything to cut the flat sock with so i have to wait till monday to get the steel cut. anyway my questions are

1. when i have the steel cut into (4) 12" pieces should i have them cut 1 of the long sides at a angle to match the arm, or have them cut both long sides at a angle to match the arm?

2. when i bevel the edges do i place the bevel side out away from the channel of the arm or in facing the channel of the arm? should the welder know how it's suppose to be done?

hope i did'nt confuse you thank's. :laugh:
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I only cut along one side of the arm. I bevel the inside so the plate will set flat in the arm. Then I bevel the outside a little so I can get a good weld that is flush. If the gap is too big, it takes a bit to fill in.

Once the outside plates are tacked on, drill 2 small holes in the back half of the arm for alignment after you cut the arm.

Done yet?
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

Damn i miss Western Washington, but you can get so much done in Cali. :D I talked to a welder today and he's gonna weld my arm up for me next week. Question

I wanted to know if i should reinforce the whole arm or will the 12" be enough. I've been doing some searching and the fullsize guy's were reinforcing the whole arm but of course the have a hell of alot more weight then we b2 wheeler's have. Do you guy's think that the arm will be stong enough? If i dont do it now can i go back and reinforce it later, or will that week'n the metal to much?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I've built 3 of them, and none of them have had any problems. If anything, it's the other arm you should worry about, as it's the one doing all the work.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

did you weld with nickle? i think that im gonna reinforce the other side as well just to be on the safe side ;) . thank's
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

it's not cast iron. You can just weld away. I wouldn't bother with the others side.
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

It's cast steel not cast iron so just weld it up. I would not do the other arm I have heard of one EB guy bending his and no other failures.
HTH
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

nobody how far out did you cut the arm after the plate was welded in? i did'nt read anything specific, so how far would you recommend? ohh and should the metal be heated before welding the plate in place? thank's
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I hacked the arm in the middle of the inside plate. Nothing is set in stone. That's just how I chose to do it.

Keep the pin hole and pivot hole somewhat close together. Makes it easier to pin the arm.

I didn't do any pre heat. I suppose you probably should. I'm no welding expert. I also only weld a few inches, then flip the arm over and weld a bit...etc...

I also advise clamping the plates down before welding so they don't try to pull away from the arm.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

holly crap welder's aint cheap!!! hey nobody im getting my arm welded up this week hopefully it'll be done by the end of the week. the guy that's welding it wanted to know how far yo drilled the 7/8th hole from the wedge and how far you drilled the 5/8th hole from the centerline of the 12" plate. i told him it really dose'nt matter but he want's to get it just like your's.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Well, you want the pivot bolt as close as practical to the wedge. I basically placed the large flat washer on the plate and used that to determine where to drill the hole.

For the lock pin, Put it sort of close to the pivot bolt. It will make it easier to pin. My first arm was spaced a little to much. Again, no real measurement, just wing it. If it's back too far there's a chance your tire could contact the pin at full lock. Not likely on full width though.

Also make sure the shock mount has extra room. Slap a couple washers on either side of the bushing before you weld it, then remove the washers. Don't over tighten the bolt. The shock needs to be able to move.

So what's a welder getting you for? Going rate for a wristed arm is $250 exchange.

Here's another one I built.

Image[/img]
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

well this guy is a cool older cat and he's doing the cutting of the 1/2", welding and drilling basically building the arm for $200.00.

[/quote]Going rate for a wristed arm is $250 exchange. [quote]

:cool: now i dont feel so bad.