D44 and 9" from a 79 ford

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
foxfan

Post by foxfan »

i wouldn't buy the cast C-wedge axles, especially if you want to go full width. the only way to go IMO for full width is to get the earlier welded C-wedge style, so you can move them in. or leaf it.

those '78/'79 axles are a dime a dozen, i found close to 100 of em'. i ended up finaly finding a U-100 ('74 Bronco) and went w/ those.
i did a search and looked through the threads and still didn't find what i needed!

Post by Guest »

I've seen a fullwidth FS 44 done by spacing the coil buckets off the frame with u channel. The radius arm crossmember wouldn't be too hard to fab up, I can't explain how I would do it, but I could draw it up. I set mine up with an originally leaf sprung 3/4 ton axle from a 79. I bought the weld on wedges and moved my B2's stock crossmember with 2.5" lift blocks from the ttb lift all it did was move it all back about a foot and use 78 f150 radius arms. It worked out great, with a great ride and good flex. I'm even thinking about setting up coils in the back to match. Another option would be to buy the weld on wedges from James Duff and weld them onto your axle where you need them, and just leave the cast wedges in place, then you could use your stock spring buckets and crossmember like I did.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

so you think that with the cast wedges in place you can weld in the wedges where they need to be? There is enough room for that?
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I would like to see pic's of that if you have them?
that is a good idea
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
foxfan

Post by foxfan »

there is not enough room to weld new wedges next to the cast ones.

i could start shouting measurments, but i forgot them. i do know that overall the full width is only 6" wider max. which gives you 3" per side. in order to be centered they would overlap and if you go all the way in and butt them up you'll be just as far off as you were w/ them to start.
i did a search and looked through the threads and still didn't find what i needed!

Post by Guest »

I couldn't remember the measurements either, I haven't done an axle with cast wedges, only see them. I was just trying to give some more ideas. On mine I had leaf spring perches, one of which was cast in with the pumpkin, butting the wedges up to that worked out perfect for me.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

you can turn the coilperches 180* also if no one has said this. if i was you's i'd wait and buy a older d44 with the welded wedges. save yourself the headache of some crazy fab work. if you can pic up the 9" then i would grab it so you only have one axle to get.
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
wilber

Post by wilber »

jp, i have a fullsize axle in mine with the wedges moved in. i can get you pics or what ever if you want. although i didnt do the work, it was alx's old b2 that i have