4.0 Tranny?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
gullion_a86

4.0 Tranny?

Post by gullion_a86 »

I have an 85' B2 with a 2.8L engine. I'm going to be getting a 4.0L engine and put in it with a four speed tranny. I need to know what trannies will fit a 4.0 and if I should get a 4 or 5 speed manual. The truck is an automatic though, but that will soon change. If you could, tell me a site that has the trannies and specs for them on the site. Thanks
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

the ranger station has a listing of the stock trannies on the tech page. as long as you make sure the tranny length is the same you will be fine to intercange any of them. if they are a different length just get the driveshafts and it will bolt together.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

The 4.0 has the same bolt pattern as the 2.8 and the 2.9. Though I would advise getting a tranny that came behind a 4.0 because it was built for the extra torque. :D
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
gullion_a86

Post by gullion_a86 »

Later after I get the 4.0, I'm going to buy the Instacharger Supercharger, a throttle body, some headers, and a cam. What else should I get to get power out of it? I was also wanting to know about the Dana 300 transfer cases that are in Jeeps? Could I put one in my truck? If I can't are there any other transfer cases that will fit my truck with a twin shift design? Also, should I consider changing rear and front ends? I have a stock 7.5" rear with 3.73 gears, and 7.5" front end with 3.73 gears. I would like to have the 8.8" on both ends. Could I do that? Thanks.
Bob

Post by Bob »

The D-300 t-case is for a jeep or something with the axle gears on the right side. You can use one, but will require a straight axle from something kinda to "chevy like" hehe
A D-20 will work, but you will need a tranny with something a adapter is avalible for. You will also need drivelines, and a early Bronco tranny crossmember.
Axles you can use whatever you like for the cash you wanna spend.
8.8/D35 or........
www.mybronco2.com
"Silly boys, Jeeps are for girls"