No Ignition Power

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
BradSmith3531

No Ignition Power

Post by BradSmith3531 »

Hello everyone! I have a 1986 Bronco II xlt 4x4 2.9l auto that was running decent but had a few leaks so I parked it for around two months. I have fixed the leaks and try to start it but it didn’t start. The battery was bad and has been replaced but still nothing. The starter and starter solenoid are good because I can jump the solenoid prongs and it fires right up. I replaced the ignition switch on the column and still didn’t do it. There’s 12v leaving the ignition switch but there’s no power on the rest of the wire. I’ve also replaced the fusable link too and all the other fuses are good. Has anyone else had this issue or have any idea of what’s going on? Any and all help is much appreciated!!!
BradSmith3531

Re: No Ignition Power

Post by BradSmith3531 »

Still couldn’t figure out what was going with that wire so I bypassed it. New wire going from the ignition switch to the ignition control module and starter solenoid. Fired right up! The wire must have shorted out on something because now the dash lights and head light switch aren’t glitching anymore.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Brad,
There is a known problem with the BII Ignition switch mounted on mid to lower section of the column. They have been known to start separating and things go where they were not to go. and when that happens It is like your vehicle is possessed and electrical gremlins run amok! I don't have access right now to my BII info but just do some research on the ignition switch and the info may jump out at you. Something else to look at is the wiring diagrams and look for ignition interlocks like shift er in N or P other silly interlocks they had in them years you know kind of like relax your cheeks in the seat,depress the brake and if it is a stick then clutch interlock and a half a dozen stupid things the government seems to think they must mandate! Only then will you be able to start your vehicle!!

OK check your schematic and follow from where you have volts and start finding where it is dead. Follow that schematic.. Oh you do have a schematic and a manual available don't you? I would recommend that if you don't have one get one and if you don't get one just label the electrical system as Follows " This electrical system has no user serviceable parts inside, Please see dealer service department"

Electrical is not voodoo magic but it can seem intimidating at times. Work in planned manner and work electrical problems one at a time. Don't jump around, just start either where the start wire originates and follow it to the end measuring at every intersection in the schematic.

I am repeating my instructions I think. Ahhhh what the heck, it is late and my beer is empty and I got a hell of a case of the munchies.

Good Luck and ask more questions if needed maybe I might be just a bit more sober and make sense then. :cool:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
BradSmith3531

Post by BradSmith3531 »

I did try the neutral/park scenario and work sometimes. I do have a technical manual that has the wiring schematics in it but that didn’t help since it was for a broad range of years. Since I’ve replaced the wire it’s started right up each time I turn the key. But I’ve ran into a new problem. The headlights only turn on when I turn the brights on with the head light switch pulled out. The dash and the running lights all come on when they’re supposed to. Brand new switch didn’t solve the problem. The bulbs aren’t burned out I think.
BradSmith3531

Post by BradSmith3531 »

Ran to the diner early to meet my wife. Bronco sat therefor a few hours and we just brought it back home. Headlights were working fine. It baffles me how some problems just fix themselves. Let’s see how long it lasts.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Brad,
That headlight problem could be a real head scratcher. My first response was going to be "Always check and never assume something is good even if it is new. I had a both lights out on low beam once and it actually was both bulbs were burnt out! I see you mentioned turning them on by hitting the dimmer. I would suggest you look near the headlights for the ground wire to the lights. It my be loose,corroded,or not making real good connection. If that don't pan out turn the lights on and run the vehicle for 10 to 20 minutes and then checking the switches like the H/L beam switch and connections and wires for signs of excessive heat being generated. If your problem is an intermittent switch it may be heating up due to high resistance.

Sounds like you are making progress and be sure to let the members know what ya find as the problem..
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast