87 Bronco II 2.9 V6 Automatic 4WD project

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
donzoh1

87 Bronco II 2.9 V6 Automatic 4WD project

Post by donzoh1 »

I need to replace the ring gear so am pulling the transmission. I pulled the transmission pan and found a little gray sludge (metal powder) but really no shavings so I'm hoping the transmission is OK. I paid 500 bucks for it and the body and interior is really pretty good. I knew it wouldn't start but that's about it. Ring gear has several teeth with chips in them so it cranks for less than one revolution and then starts grinding. The starter is new with good teeth and was purchased by the prior owner.

When I pulled the transmission pan, several little rubber washers fell out maybe 3/8 inch in diameter. They seem to have an angled cross section so they're not O rings in the conventional sense. Any ideas on what these are and what to do about this.
Also, any hints on the torque converter are appreciated as I've heard this can be a problem putting it back together.

Finally, someone partly removed the brake cable mechanism below the driver side door mounted to the frame rail. I'm hoping someone will email me a pic of this since I don't know how to put it back on. Now, the parking brake doesn't work at all.
broncofan

Re: 87 Bronco II 2.9 V6 Automatic 4WD project

Post by broncofan »

You might wanna post a pic of your e brake so we can see if it's the same. If I can I'll try to post one later too. As far as auto trans go I have very little knowledge on what the insides look like. Hopefully someone else chimes in.
2013 Taurus SHO LMS V11 tune, 06 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition,03 Mustang GT Conv, 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2, 84 BII