Please help!!!

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Richard85

Please help!!!

Post by Richard85 »

I've got an 86 Bronco II and I was driving it today and it started chugging then it just died. When I let it sit for awhile I was able to start it but when I gave it gas would die again. Well I turned key on and pumps turned on but when I checked Pressure Regulator, it had air coming out and no fuel. I climbed under the truck and cracked open the container that fuel filter is in and let some fuel leak out.. Well it started and I drove it 15 minutes down road and it started doing it again.. Can anyone help me please???
drofman

Re: Please help!!!

Post by drofman »

Sounds like it may be the in-tank fuel pump. Mine did the same thing. There is a hose between the pump and delivery line that went bad on mine. If you search this site you will see it happens a lot.
Richard85

Post by Richard85 »

I replaced that whole Sending Unit probably about 2.5 years ago, do you think that the hose might be lose or have a whole in it??
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

If it had a hole in it it would be moist at least. When a hose fails internally it usually collapses in side itself.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Richard85

Post by Richard85 »

So what I'm getting from this is, drop my fuel tank and look at that hose on my fuel pump? My gas gauge isn't working either, hasn't been since I installed the new Sending Unit. Maybe I got a faulty unit??
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

That could be a strong possibility. I know the in tank fuel pump / Gas gauge are high failure items.

When I mentioned the hose above I was pressed for time and I was going to explain what I meant about that.

A fuel hose is a double layer hose at minimum. Some have multiple layers. With today's CRAP that gas stations sell the fuel is of course laced heavily with alcohol, methanol all of the rubber components that are exposed to this fuel start deteriorating and being eaten away by the alcohol in the fuel. The fuel breaks down the innermost layer first and allows fuel to work itself between the layers of the hose. When that happens the fuel pressure forces fuel between the layers of hose and squishes the inner layer on top of itself effectively blocking the line. The harder the pump works the tighter the hose is squished and no fuel flow. Sometimes when the pressure is relaxed like key off the fuel will seep through giving the vehicle a tiny bit of fuel to start itself and start the cycle all over again. If and when you pull the tank just replace that piece of flexible rubber hose. It will save you hours of frustration trying to trace the problem.

One last bit of Info, When the tank is removed and installed make sure the ground wires are hooked up and in good condition.

Happy hunting :cool:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Richard85

Post by Richard85 »

Thank you for the info, I will try to drop the tank tomorrow and try to figure out problem. The fuel gauge works sometimes for a few minutes but will go back down to empty, while I'm driving down the road..
drofman

Post by drofman »

Mine hose didn't collapses on itself what it did is expand (it's after the pump so it's pressure not suction) and let the fuel go back into the tank thus not making it to the secondary pump (frame rail).

Seems like a pump should last longer than 2 1/2 years.
Might want to check pressure or try to run it on carb cleaner when it dies to verifiy it's a fuel problem. Just saying.
Richard85

Post by Richard85 »

When it dies on me and I check for fuel at the schrader valve all I get is air coming out but when it's running and I check it there is fuel coming out.. Yeah I thought that 2.5 years was kinda soon too but I've had a fuel pump quit within a few months after I bought it before.. I bought the whole Sending Unit from O'Reillys but the kid that sold it to me said he had to search for one on the internet cause they didn't carry it or something to that extent.
Richard85

Post by Richard85 »

OK I got the stalling problem figured out, the High Pressure Pump is bad.. Got one coming in on Tuesday.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Glad you found the problem..
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Richard85

Post by Richard85 »

Well I installed the new pump and it's still doing the same thing as it was before..
kirkland2887

Post by kirkland2887 »

you need to put a pressure gauge on it. if you are getting air in the system it has to be in the tank or the little plastic resevoir on frame rail. i have seen low pressure pump have weak output and high pressure pump was pulling slight suction on resevoir.
kirkland2887

Post by kirkland2887 »

truck will run on less than 30 psi. but you need closer to 35 to avoid engine damage and put out any power
Richard85

Post by Richard85 »

I'm trading this big ol pile of crap this weekend..