Driveshaft

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Gerry

Driveshaft

Post by Gerry »

1990 BII Eddie Bauer 4x4 automatic that I keep at a house in Mexico. Need to purchase parts in USA to bring with me when I drive down. I'm hearing and feeling a clunk when I shift from park to reverse. Am told it's the driveshaft. I'm not a mechanic so I researched and read all the info on replacing the existing CV with the newer u-joint type. My question is, are there any major differences between the types of shafts offered by dealers as they seem to range from a low of $219 (Advance AutoParts CRS N98228) - this includes a current special discount and free shipping; to highs around $319 (Autozone A1Cardone A1659822); and $278.99 + Core at $48.00 at O'Reilly. This latter lists length at 30-1/4 inch. NAPA doesn't list a price for their NMD 931301 which says it's compatible but lists length at 36-1/4". I need to know what exact specs I need be looking for. All of these say they are for my year and model but now I'm confused. On paper the bargain from Advance AutoParts seems like the best deal. Am I safe going with that?
101btp

Re: Driveshaft

Post by 101btp »

make sure it's for an automatic, I learned the hard way put a manual one on my automatic within a month from that while I was going by my neighbors house cruising a steady 35 said drive shaft ended up in my neighbors yard! well what was left of it
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Thanks for the reminder. Yes I'm aware that it needs to be for an automatic. My question was to make sure that I would be looking for only a rear driveshaft and what length (34 1/4 or 36 1/4) would be correct. From what I've read, the magic number seems to contain the numbers 9822. Like I said, my car is down in Mexico so I can't run out and measure. Also, can anyone advise me on any significant differences between manufacturers (is the shaft from Advanced Auto better or worse than the one from Autozone or O'Reilly? Is there one to "stay away from" or are they all just about the same? Thanks.
101btp

Post by 101btp »

well manual bolts up just like automatic but was a different looking design but still using u joints, anyways the drive shaft length im going to give you is when it's as close together as it could possibly be not extended on how the design allows it to be I will also bring it in and take a picture give me about 15 min and I will have it posted for you!

alright so I went out to check it out with the drive shaft compressed well not extended out like it allows it measures 30 3/4 but again when it's on the vehicle it dose pull out some and that was drive shaft flange to flange, so tomorrow I will go out and measure bolted up flange to flange on my bronco II

And as you can see I am one of those people that has a sick passion for the color lime green...

have you shopped around at any of you're local junk yards the green one ur seeing I picked up for like 60.00
Attachments
0226141919.jpg
try to avoid ones looking like this a lot of places I know will not re build this GKN design yes that's the one I don't like
try to avoid ones looking like this a lot of places I know will not re build this GKN design yes that's the one I don't like
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Thanks 101. 34 1/4 it is then (I sorta thought so but wanted to make sure).
101btp

Post by 101btp »

Gerry wrote:Thanks for the reminder. Yes I'm aware that it needs to be for an automatic. My question was to make sure that I would be looking for only a rear driveshaft and what length (34 1/4 or 36 1/4) would be correct. From what I've read, the magic number seems to contain the numbers 9822. Like I said, my car is down in Mexico so I can't run out and measure. Also, can anyone advise me on any significant differences between manufacturers (is the shaft from Advanced Auto better or worse than the one from Autozone or O'Reilly? Is there one to "stay away from" or are they all just about the same? Thanks.
hey I just checked out e bay too if you can't find any at you're local junk yard e bay looks like the place to go for ones going for 200 new and that's including shipping!
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Advanced Auto had a real bargain last week - $219 new including shipping but the code expired and I wasn't ready to buy -should've bought then. Thanks again for your help 101.