down for the count

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
kirkland2887

down for the count

Post by kirkland2887 »

my 88 b2 has finally had enough. only about 400,000 miles, 2 motors, and 2 tranny's. gonna have to rebuild the front axle, t-case, and motor. my question is how does it all happen at once. start noticing front end noise, so i put it on a hoist. throw it in four wheel drive to find noise and the t-case starts screaming at me like a chain is dragging in the case. get it off the hoist and start driving home, the motor starts smoking. not sure if valve seals or piston rings, but im burnin oil. here is the really sad part. i bought a 75 blazer for a dd while i decide what to do with b2. i love that little truck and i refuse to send it to the crusher. my biggest problem is the lack of umph. if i am on the interstate and go the fifth gear, i actually slow down. these are the two options im thinking of. as an auto tech i can get almost all parts at cost. do i go stock drivetrain and go with 4.10 or 4.56 gears. if i do, i will have to do a dana 35 swap. idaho transmission tells me that parts are no longer available for the dana 28. my other option is 302. if i go with a 302, i have a carbed out of 72 f100 or injected out of 89 f150. 4 speed or five speed. i have both. and if i go 302 i am definitely going to do a SAS. either way with powertrain, i am going to completely overhaul truck. paint, weatherstripping, interior. everything. let the discussion begin.

P.S. i live in southern idaho. desert to my north, and mountains to my south. only 30 minutes from wheeling on the weekends
didittwice

Re: down for the count

Post by didittwice »

If if was me and had to go through it all 302 is the way
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

I personally wouldnt put a 302 in a B2, but the '72 carb might be better than the '89 EFI version IMO, they dont have much power but they burn alot of fuel, at least with the older carb engine you wouldnt need all the crap that goes along with the EFI engine. I have an '89 F150 Supercab 4x2 now and had the same truck in a '90 4x4 a few years ago, both reliable but under powered trucks with poor fuel economy. Granted either would supply more than enough power in a B2 but at least with the older engine you could run a very basic electrical system without all the computer and smog controls.

My B2 is an '85 so I dont have any experience with the 2.9L engine, but I really like the 2.8L now that I've stripped away all the computer and smog control crap that was on it, maybe thats another option you could consider... 2.8L w/Duraspark conversion would be very easily swapped into an '88 truck and it has decent power with better mileage.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Let me step in and voice an opinion too.

I am thinking budget Build! Here is what I would do. I would take a bit of cash say 500-900 and start scouring the want ads and Craigslist for a 1991-94 Ford Explorer Cheap! I think a person could find a mechanically good rig pretty darn cheap. You take the 4.0L and all running gear, Eng,Trans,Rear end, front end wiring etc. Put all of that stuff in your B2. Then you have a great running 4.0L and Dana 35 axles. The 4.0L is a good motor for the B2 it has a decent amount of power and doesn't drink fuel like a fat cat in congress. The 4.0 motor is fairly economical to refresh and the Dana 35 axles are damn strong. The whole swap is almost bolt for bolt. Oh the Exp Axles are slightly wider so ya may need to add some flairs to the wheel wells or mud flaps.

After stripping all the parts off of the exploder just haul the rest away as scrap. Something I might mention also is if you see a great deal on an explorer depending on how you dispose of the frame and body shell you don't worry about a title. Just send a letter to your DMV with the Vin# and a release of interest and tell them the vehicle has been destroyed. Then cut it into manageable pieces and hull the hulk to the scrapper.

This would be an almost straight swap right into the B2. The swap of a V8 into a B2 Would yield a power increase but at a cost to your existing axles. The 7.5 is a good axle but if it gets abuse it breaks readily. Then the extra fuel consumption not to mention a weight penalty up front!

Ok my 2 cents worth for free. Others opinions are sure to differ.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast