need help wiring into fuse box 1987 bronco ii

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
87broncoii302

need help wiring into fuse box 1987 bronco ii

Post by 87broncoii302 »

Hi everyone, I have an 1987 bronco ii that needs wiring into the fuse box because the headlights and running brake lights are just stuck straight into the front of the fuse box.

So here how the headlights and running tail lights are wired batt to headlights, headlights to taillights split at the switch and then switch wire just stuck right into the front of the fuse box where the fuses go....

so can i take the hot wire to the switch that was originally stuck in the front and connect it into the back of the fuse box and through a fuse in there?

I've decided to mess with it now because i was driving it a few days ago in the snow and i notice that my headlights are dimming out and increasing power with the rpm of the engine and so i park it and im smelling a burning so i turn it off (i made it to my garage thankfully) and see that my right taillight is still illuminating so i take the keys out of it and still on and then i get to take into my fuse cover off to see whats going on and it sparks and now both taillights are off and thats where i left off...

any advice or experience is greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.
tekatlarge

Re: need help wiring into fuse box 1987 bronco ii

Post by tekatlarge »

Well if wires are just pushed in front or back your looking for problems. If my mind serves me right the harness wires coming out of the fuse block are all riveted to the fuse contacts I tried fixing a block that the wire had been burnt off and no way could I get any other wire type to solder to it and there is no way to drill it out and re rivet. I think a replacement box and harness is your only recourse. :puke:

:idea:

If you need a fused +12 volts, run down to your local auto parts place and ask them for a "Universal Fuse Holder". They should be able to fix you right up for real cheep! There are several different styles used but the good ol round glass fuses. Run one wire directly to the bat + term and the other wire to your needed 12Vdc install the appropriate fuse and your all set. :cool:

When it comes to electrical there is nothing worse than standing next to your rig watching it burn to the axles because it had no fuse or a crappy connection shorted. :puke: :puke:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
87broncoii302

Post by 87broncoii302 »

tekatlarge wrote:Well if wires are just pushed in front or back your looking for problems. If my mind serves me right the harness wires coming out of the fuse block are all riveted to the fuse contacts I tried fixing a block that the wire had been burnt off and no way could I get any other wire type to solder to it and there is no way to drill it out and re rivet. I think a replacement box and harness is your only recourse. :puke:

:idea:

If you need a fused +12 volts, run down to your local auto parts place and ask them for a "Universal Fuse Holder". They should be able to fix you right up for real cheep! There are several different styles used but the good ol round glass fuses. Run one wire directly to the bat + term and the other wire to your needed 12Vdc install the appropriate fuse and your all set. :cool:

When it comes to electrical there is nothing worse than standing next to your rig watching it burn to the axles because it had no fuse or a crappy connection shorted. :puke: :puke:
Ya new fuse block is what i need, any ideas where i can find one? auto parts stores dont carry them and neither does rockauto.com or summitracing.com

As for a temporary fix i picked up some wire connectors and a fuse holder...

and everthing works as it did before except now i have no brake lights just the constant running lights....
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Wow I just realized you are in Ohio! I been to Ohio. Just outside of Cleveland a little burg called strongsville or Strongsville something like that. While I was there I did the Cleveland highlights. Ya know the R&R Hall of fame and if I remember there is a old navy Sub next door. That was Kewl. Went to the downtown Stadium. Pretty Kewl Ah My Favorite place was the Harley Diner just outside the Cleveland area. I had a Ham-head Burger a Side of lugnutz and Spark plugs.. All of that in a turn of the century Railroad Dining car right in the middle of a working active Harley Davidson Shop!!!

Oh ok I digress.. If I were you I would start calling all the local junk yards, Or as some try to call them "Auto Recyclers" There are two types. One type is called usually Pull A Part where for a fixed price you go out in the yard and pull your own harness. Should be real cheap and easy. The second type yard has all the cars secured and they pull the parts. Pick several in your area and call them and ask if they have a vehicle like yours and if you can pull the dash harness and fuse-box all in one. Then disconnect all the ancillary stuff from the fuse harness and your on your way.. Have fun
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
87broncoii302

Post by 87broncoii302 »

tekatlarge wrote:Wow I just realized you are in Ohio! I been to Ohio. Just outside of Cleveland a little burg called strongsville or Strongsville something like that. While I was there I did the Cleveland highlights. Ya know the R&R Hall of fame and if I remember there is a old navy Sub next door. That was Kewl. Went to the downtown Stadium. Pretty Kewl Ah My Favorite place was the Harley Diner just outside the Cleveland area. I had a Ham-head Burger a Side of lugnutz and Spark plugs.. All of that in a turn of the century Railroad Dining car right in the middle of a working active Harley Davidson Shop!!!

Oh ok I digress.. If I were you I would start calling all the local junk yards, Or as some try to call them "Auto Recyclers" There are twow types. One type is called usually Pull A Part where for a fixed price you go out in the yard and pull your own harness. Should be real cheap and easy. The second type yard has all the cars secured and they pull the parts. Pick several in your area and call them and ask if they have a vehicle like yours and if you can pull the dash harness and fuse-box all in one. Then disconnect all the ancillary stuff from the fuse harness and your on your way.. Have fun
Nice tekatlarge, ya cleveland i love cleveland, Lots of good places to eat downtown and the flats are always a good time.. Its Strongsville by the way.
haha lugnutz and sparkplugs with a tall glass of motor oil right?

I have yet to search the junk yards, that was my plan B... and what do you mean by ancillary stuff ?

But I'm kind of intimidated by what i might come arcoss when I start ripping wires out of this thing cause there is a mess of wires like if you never cut your hair for a year without combing it... Id like to pull them out myself so ill have a little advantage...
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Yeah Lugnutz and sparkplugs with a beer sounds good about right now.. I spent one evening either near or on Cuyahoga. it may have been the Flats, I can't remember the details of that part of the trip, I do know it was a hell of a good time. One adult themed bar after another, plus there was some live music too. Ya wanna take a handful a cash there. Ha ha ha

Oh the ancillary devices are everything else you need.
On the strip wires out I would have to say I wouldn't do that. There are several different reasons for not stripping all the wires out.

The first and foremost reason NOT to do this is that you loose everything in the dash and things like wipers would need to be rewired. Also maybe ya want a heater for them cold days one more item to add. If you want to drive on the streets you need to have the required lighting. Headlights hi and lo beams, Tail Lights, Turn Signals, brake lights. It might also be real nice to add a dome light for seeing stuff at night. Oh and if you wipe out the dash wires you have no fuel gauge, temp gauge, no oil gauge, they all run on 12 volts and signals from the front and rear of the rig.

I guess what I am saying is even if you pull all the wires, out are you going to damage anything that needs to be left intact? I have heard the following argument before: Oh man my rig is strictly off road I am just going to mount some hi lights and the hell with everything else. Sounds like a good idea huh? Well if you really think about about what you have to have electrical wise. Most of today's rigs are fuel injected. I tell ya you can't just start yanking wires around FI and anything else electronically located in the truck. If this was a simple ignition coil distributor rig it would be a lot easier to just yank everything and start anew.

OK one last mention here and I am going to get back to some welding! First off 90% of all electrical problems start with a well meaning repair, or a "Quick Mod," or "Quick Fix" to add or repair something. That fix or temp repair change may work for years and finally it's just numbers catching up with you! Usually the problems are slowly induced over the lifetime of the vehicle and finally one day POOF all the smoke runs out and your cooked.
Of course there are many different ways to go. It is possible to buy a complete bare ## circuit universal harness. I saw one on FleeBay not long ago it was I think a 7 circuit harness with fuse block and was like 49.00 or some ridicules price. Also some Hot Rod sites (has lots of vendors advertising universal harness real cheap). (Try Hot Rod Hotline.com) Unless I was building something from the ground up I would stick with tried and true OEM parts like harnesses.

I am not sure if you are familiar with my web site, but I think I have complete wire diagrams for several years of Bronco II or Ranger diagrams there. Just go to my Technical Library and look at electrical. That might give you an idea of how complicated it is to make everything work.. Now I am back to this furnace install and mounting stand welding and creating in my shop.

Good luck on your search!!
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington