86 BII 4wd Eddie Bauer Automatic Trans Slip?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
wilsonsuarez

86 BII 4wd Eddie Bauer Automatic Trans Slip?

Post by wilsonsuarez »

ok so im pretty that my automatic 86 Eddie Bauer B2 has the A4DL tranny although im not sure, did all the EB B2's all come with that tranny?
anyway...so when its cold reverse does not like to engage, it takes some cycling through all the gears and some patience for it to engage with a clunk but once it does its smooth sailing backwards. the drive gear engages fine every time, with a bit of a clunk but i doubt it anything more than a tranny mount replacement wont fix; what worries me is the slipping between gears. when i got the truck it had sat for about a year and the owner told me that the last "maintenance" he had performed was a tranny fluid change but he was unsure if he used the proper fluid :wtf: so i drove it drove it home and after spending 2 hours to drive 5 miles due to bad electrical problems that kept shutting of power to the ignition and fuel systems. in the spurts of driving time on the home i did notice that it would rev awkwardly high between 2nd and 3rd gear and didnt notice any overdrive. i did a tranny fluid and filter change twice to rid it of the questionable fluid and while it did run a bit smoother, longer distances showed more slipping: off the line it takes off smooth and with a steady acceleration will cycle through all 4 gears and will continue to run smooth thru 92mph for a couple miles (didnt want to get a ticket so i slowed down) upon releasing the gas pedal it slowed as expected but when it came time to accelerate again before coming to a complete stop (about 25-30mph) it over revved as if on neutral and had to come to a full stop before it would engage again, and then as if nothing happened it was fine thru all gears so i decelerated and it did it again. it happens from what i can tell between 2nd and 3rd gears or about 25-30mph. i checked the vacuum line and replaced it was it was the original from factory as well as the modulator, tested again and now it will re-engage while moving after deceleration with some finess and feathering of the gas pedal but it will clunk as if getting kicked in the ass by a mule! any suggestions?? also, the shifting on these trannies, is it vacuum actuated hydraulics through all ranges or is there an electric shifting component that im missing??
Attachments
the day i bought her
the day i bought her
OldBill

Re: 86 BII 4wd Eddie Bauer Automatic Trans Slip?

Post by OldBill »

I am also having problems with my 90 Bii transmission. At first the slippage was just low fluid level. The dip stick says use Dexron that seemed to fix the inital problem. A couple weeks later the OD started slipping. Now I have no OD, but I can limp around in drive OK. Cost for the rebuild of the Trans here is quoted at $1400. Hope you have better luck than I.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

When looking over my A4LD trans info it seems that a lot of problems in the A4LD stem from dirt and contamination in the trans. The reverse problem could be a simple as a Sticky valve body. When it's late shifting it could a sticky governor. That seems to show up a lot. If it slips all the time you have probably have worn clutch plates or other deep internal problems.

Now something I noticed was a bunch of service letters citing electronic problems affecting shifting. It was aimed at the Explorer series of A4LD with dual solenoids. It seems the electronic controlled A4LDs are very sensitive to minor voltage changes and spikes.

Unfortunately, I believe your problems are a worn out A4LD. If I were in your shoes I think I would pull the trans and find a reputable Trans Shop and have them do a rebuild.

Of course Your mileage may vary.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
IRONLEG

Post by IRONLEG »

Look into a trans from an explorer seem to be a bit better my buddy uses them in 3 b2s
Using Tapatalk