86 BII Eddie Bauer with bad electrical issue

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
wilsonsuarez

86 BII Eddie Bauer with bad electrical issue

Post by wilsonsuarez »

ok, so i have scrubbed though the threads and although i have found similar problems posted i can not seem to find a suitable fix for my application, so im hoping someone can shed light on my problem. i have an 86 b2 eddie bauer and can not get it started. it all started a couple months ago when i went to start the b2 and after successfully starting the starter motor stayed engaged until i unpluged it from the solenoid. thinking it was a bad solenoid i replaced it along with the neg to the eng ground batt cable. had the starter tested just in case and after i was satisfied i put it all back together and it worked great. i felt good about myself for a couple days until the problem happened again, so after a closer inspection i noticed the solenoid to starter motor cable was corroded at the starter so i replaced that also. the starter decided to seize up and then the real fun began. i bought a new starter and a new battery (old batt was over 7 years old) and a new solenoid as well just in case, threw it all on along with new batt to solenoid cable and still nothing. now the only difference is that the solenoid makes a loud buzzing noize. throughout all of this and between the enchange of parts i would try to start and get no crank, even when jumping the solenoid the same loud buzzing noise as if the sol was in extreme pain. i dont know what else to check/ replace. truck was running great until the day the starter got stuck on, any suggestions would be amazing! thanks in advance.
tekatlarge

Re: 86 BII Eddie Bauer with bad electrical issue

Post by tekatlarge »

Well from your description it sounds like you have maybe a ground problem. Have you changed the ground?

To check for a ground fault take a single jumper cable and attach one Clip directly to the engine block. Attach the other end directly to the negative terminal of the battery. Now try and start the engine. If the solenoid engages and starts to turn the engine you have a break in your ground path ie battery negative cable or where it attaches.

If that don't do anything ya gonna need a 12 Ga shotgun for the next step. ha ha ah Just kidding!

Use 1 jumper cable and clamp that on the positive + term of the battery. Hold the other end and carefully touch the side of the solenoid that goes to the starter. If it turns over you have a problem between the Battery + post and the solenoid.

Now if you have no success with the above steps pull your battery and put it on a charger overnight. Re install and try all your tests again. if No joy take the battery back!!

Good luck
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
wilsonsuarez

Post by wilsonsuarez »

Thank you so much for the insight, the battery is brand new as are the cables to and from. I had them load test it at autozone before taking it home and it checked out ok, bu I will try these test tomorrow regardless just in case and will report back soon after.

Dumb question: I can hook the jumper cable to the engine lift hook for the ground check or do I need to go down to where the block ground cable attaches?
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

The engine lift hooks will work if you can scrape away any paint or other contaminants. As long as the hooks are bolted to the engine tightly you should be in good shape.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
wilsonsuarez

Post by wilsonsuarez »

Oh man, thank you so much for the help!! I tried both tests and the second one where the jump is from pos on batt to solenoid made it start right up without a hitch. I was fixin to lose my mind and I noticed a pretty bad kink in the brand new pos batt cable I had bought just a couple weeks ago, I threw it in at night and didn't check it prior to install but it turns out that it had a break in the cable under the sheath, enough connection to power the accessories when the key was turned but would break the circuit when the starter would draw the heavy amperage. Anyway, threw a new cable in there and checked/ cleaned all my grounds just in case and she is alive once again! Thank you soo much for your help, you most definitely saved me some time and money!!!

I've got some other issues on this B2 I need help with if you don't mind throwing some more knowledge at me!
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

I am glad you found the problem. Sometimes even new stuff is bad from stock. One thing I can say is when faced with multiple problems, take the issues 1 at a time and try not to get distracted. Next thing you know you solved all the problems.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
wilsonsuarez

Post by wilsonsuarez »

Another question on the electrical topic, this b2 has unfortunately met too many sloppy hands and suffers from very poor wiring. I have been little by little going thru and repairing the connections one by one but it seems never ending and connectors although cheap by themselves start to add up after a while, do you think it would be cheaper to replace the entire engine wiring harness or just keep trying to reverse the damage one by one? Also I have searched, not too much, but I haven't found a complete new harness for my '86 2.9l. Do they even make em, if so where and what is a good $$ range?
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

I don't think you will find a :wtf: "New" Harness out there unless one shows up in some NOS parts. Your best bet would be to look around in your local Pull A Part. :eek: I had 1 1986 Stock perfect Harness I found in a Bone yard. That Harness has already been disemboweled. I used the ECU Connector For a EECIV Breakout box. The other connectors have been promised to someone else..

If you have a Pull A Part near by go and see if you can find a 86-89 B II or Ranger. I believe the main harness between the computer and sensors is basically the same as long as it is for the 2.9 . You might even be able to use a 1990. Some will be junk and worthless However, you may find a real nice one.

The only other way is to build a new harness with New OEM connectors. They are available but pricey, The real hard connector to get is the ECU Connector. They are available but not plentiful so think Truck loads of dollars..

Good Luck! :cool: :cool:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
wilsonsuarez

Post by wilsonsuarez »

thanks again, i guess i gotta go hunitng.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

I think I have a stock engine wiring harness for a 89 B2.
wilsonsuarez

Post by wilsonsuarez »

Will it work for my 86? And how much you want for it??
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

If yours is a 2.9L it should. Tek would know better than me.
wilsonsuarez

Post by wilsonsuarez »

how much you want for it?
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

The Harness should fit with no problems..
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Let me go out and make sure that I still have the harness in my garage first before I get Wilson too excited.