Blown Head Gasket or Other?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
cobra003

Blown Head Gasket or Other?

Post by cobra003 »

Hello I am new to this forum. I joined because my son has a Bronco II with a V-6. He recently came back from Calforina out of the Army. I have been telling him to get it winterized. Needless to say he dropped the ball. Yesterday morning it was in the 20's and on his way to work it over heated and lost most of the fluid. I'm sure the fliuds were at least partily frozen if not all the way. Now it is missing out, and exhaust fumes from radiator.
I would like some input on what to expect as far as damage. Like the weak links, such as heads, block, etc. I'm sure it is more then just a head gasket.
In the mean time I will do some searching hear on the forums. Thanks!
tekatlarge

Re: Blown Head Gasket or Other?

Post by tekatlarge »

You are probably looking at a minimum a cracked head. If the cooling system froze solid it could have cracked the block. Either way your looking at some serious work..
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
cobra003

Post by cobra003 »

Great just what I didn't want to hear. I doubt if it froze solid, but still may of done more damage. Where do the heads usualy crack at? Can you see it by eye or do you have to have them magnafluxed?
Also is there much demand for these Bronco's? This is a rust free Califorina car, and zero body damage. Just trying to figure out what to do. Or are there any complete motors that are available? I haven't had time to even look to see what motor it is. I know it is a V-6, and has the A4LD trans.
Not looking forward to working on it!
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

The 2.9 heads like to crack between the valve seats. :puke: I was Thinking about what you said happened and I would recomend checking all of the expansion plugs on the engine for leakage or having been pushed out and causeing a loss of coolant. :wtf:

Either way when a 2.9 is overheated even a little bit, you can almost guarantee that heads will crack. There are heads available much less crack prone. These heads are manufactured by World Heads. If you go that route Get out your checkbook! not real cheap.

If you are in an area that does not have emissions tests required I would suggest replacing the 2.9 and A4LD with a 5.0 V8 and a C5 transmission. If you are still required to pass emissions tests then your best bet is to possibly use an 1991 - 1994 explorer 4.0 V6. Short of that it is rebuild the 2.9. :mad:

As for the value it is all over the boards. I have seen them in pristine condition go for as much as 4 grand and some real nice ones go as cheep as $500.00 :laugh:

Do your homework and decide what you want the rig to do for you! If your looking at off road only then the sky is the limit. You can make it a reliable daily driver and good off road or go crazy with a SAS and huge tires. :eek:

One of the limitations of the B2 is in the front differential, B2's came with the Dana 28 front axle (Some late 90s B2s came with a hybrid axle basically a D35 in a dana 28 case) and it is not super reliable when it is romped on in the off road. The rear end is a 7.5" and people say that is a weak rear end. The 7.5 can take some abuse but if you Lincoln lock the rear end it will go awhile but it will eventually break. What I have seen is people buying a wrecked or otherwise cheap as in low bucks 1991 thru 1994 Exploder and swapping every part of explorer into the B2. An Exploder has a 4.0 V6, a Dana 35 front axle and a 8.8 rear end. If it is an automatic it will have an improved A4LD. If you want to go Stick then find an exploder with a stick and swap pedals and all.

So set back grab a beer :beer: and research, research, research.. :cool:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
cobra003

Post by cobra003 »

Well it's my sons truck and he is just out of the Army, no job and pretty much broke. So I will be helping him out. It has been a while since I have tuched one of these but it won't be a problem . Me and a friend had a drivetrain shop back in the 80's, and we did a little of everything. Custom lift kits, gears, transfer case, trans, etc. Tried to stay away from motor work, not enough money in it, and to much liability.
What I am looking for is the biggest bang for the buck. Short of the heads probaly being bad, and freeze plugs poss being out, is there any weak links on the block? I'm sure the odds of finding a good used 2.9 is pretty slim. What other options are thre for engines. I don't know how long they built that motor, or what other versions might be off the same platform. Also fuel injection differences, computer controls, ECU, etc.
Sorry for all the questions. I have been working a lot and haven't had much time to research yet. I have a 2003 Cobra and belong to a SVT forum, so I know there is a lot of information on these sites.
Thanks!
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

cobra003 wrote:Well it's my sons truck and he is just out of the Army, no job and pretty much broke. So I will be helping him out. It has been a while since I have tuched one of these but it won't be a problem . Me and a friend had a drivetrain shop back in the 80's, and we did a little of everything. Custom lift kits, gears, transfer case, trans, etc. Tried to stay away from motor work, not enough money in it, and to much liability.
What I am looking for is the biggest bang for the buck. Short of the heads probaly being bad, and freeze plugs poss being out, is there any weak links on the block? I'm sure the odds of finding a good used 2.9 is pretty slim. What other options are thre for engines. I don't know how long they built that motor, or what other versions might be off the same platform. Also fuel injection differences, computer controls, ECU, etc.
Sorry for all the questions. I have been working a lot and haven't had much time to research yet. I have a 2003 Cobra and belong to a SVT forum, so I know there is a lot of information on these sites.
Thanks!

The 2.9 Cologne V6 block is really pretty stout. In Europe Ford made a car called the Scorpio. It had a Cologne V6 Block and the top end was all Cosworth with overhead cams. that was 24 valves and a wild intake system. The Gen II Cosworth was designated model BOB it had twin overhead cams and a variable tuned intake These motors made some serious Hp and the bottom end and block held up great.

Here in the US there is only one version of the 2.9. the 2.9 FI 12 valve version. There is no different direct just plug and play engine! Any different engine you use will need that engines computer and wiring. I will make an exception to that and say if you go V8 you could could maybe go carburetor, However why go backwards in technology. The 4.0 is the only bolt in replacement engine. A 4.0 will bolt in but you must use the 4.0 computer and wiring harness. The 4.0 makes the B2 just hum right along.

Everything else engine wise was listed above.

The engines only downfall is chronic lifter noise and that is discussed extensively here in the forum. Just use the search function above and look for lifter noise.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
cobra003

Post by cobra003 »

Yeah I have seen a couple of the Scoripio's around here in the past. I believe they had a dual wing spoiler on the back. Not to bad of cars. Looks like I will probaly put a fresh set of heads on it if that is all that is wrong. I can't see dumping a lot of money into something that isn't worth it. Unless it was something that he wanted to keep to play around with. If you know of any good source for heads could you let me know? Thanks for the input!
Now that I think about it the cars I seen may have been Merkur's.
BamaBronco2

Post by BamaBronco2 »

cobra003 wrote:Yeah I have seen a couple of the Scoripio's around here in the past. I believe they had a dual wing spoiler on the back. Not to bad of cars. Looks like I will probaly put a fresh set of heads on it if that is all that is wrong. I can't see dumping a lot of money into something that isn't worth it. Unless it was something that he wanted to keep to play around with. If you know of any good source for heads could you let me know? Thanks for the input!
Now that I think about it the cars I seen may have been Merkur's.
There was a Merkur XR4TI which had a 2.3 liter turbo 4cyl. The XR4TI was a 2-door which had the dual wing spoiler. It was a cool little car. The Merkur Scorpio was a 4-door, and it had the V6 in it.