85 Bronco II will not turn off with key

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
blueheeler47

85 Bronco II will not turn off with key

Post by blueheeler47 »

Let me start out by saying I am not a mechanic, and I need some help! I have replaced the key lock, and the ignition switch. It appears to me the pin that fits into the ignition switch is not pulling the switch back into the off position. I have to disconnect the battery to keep it from draining, when I unplugged the ignition switch that eliminated the battery drain. Is there a spring of some sort behind the key lock that can be replaced?

I am not sure I explained that well, let me know if you need more information!

Thanks in advance
kirkland2887

Re: 85 Bronco II will not turn off with key

Post by kirkland2887 »

Pull your ignition switch out and turn your key. see how much movement the rod has when you turn the key. also grab the rod and make sure that it doesnt have a bunch of slop. i think the wholes to mount the ignition switch are slotted. try sliding it a little to give the rod more pull. you might just have some worn out parts.
blueheeler47

Re: 85 Bronco II will not turn off with key

Post by blueheeler47 »

Yep, with the ignition switch off, the rod will not move backward at all, if you work the key you can push the rod all the way back. The gears or whatever that is in behind the key lock is apparently what is worn out. Is that something that can be replaced. For the time being I have tied fishing line to the rod and am able to pull the rod back to the off position to turn the motor off. Not the ideal solution but at least I can turn it off now without having to disconnect the battery.