1988 Bronco II issues

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
garman

1988 Bronco II issues

Post by garman »

Hi Folks,

I am trying to revive an old 1988 Bronco II for someone. It has been parked for a couple years, but DID run fine. Of course, now it won`t.
I dropped the tank and cleaned it, installed a brand new sending unit with new pump, filter sock, the whole deal.
It does not get any fuel to the engine. Both pumps ARE energizing.
I dis-connected the fuel lines at the filter, nothing, at the high pressure pump, nothing, at the water separator canister, a little fuel dripped out.
I disconnected the outlet line at the tank, had my son turn the switch, and it sprayed fuel past the rear differential.
NONE of these fuel lines were disconnected while it sat. The system was closed/sealed.
It will run for a few seconds on starting fluid, so it will run.
Any one have any thoughts on this?
Much appreciated!
drofman

Re: 1988 Bronco II issues

Post by drofman »

How long did it sit? Was this the reason why it was parked? When you turn the key on does the high pressure pump vibrate? Sounds like a problem with the high pressure pump maybe.
Attachments
PA170071.JPG
garman

Post by garman »

I THINK I may have discovered the problem today. I took the water separator filter apart, and the filter element was as SERIOUSLY DIRTY and clogged as one could be. No way the required fuel could have flowed though.
Bought a new one today. We`ll see how that goes tomorrow.
garman

Post by garman »

The water separator filter WAS the issue. After replacement, fuel flowed perfectly. Took a bit of effort to get ALL the air out of system between the fuel filter and regulator.
A healthy shot of starting fluid, which started the engine for a few seconds took care of that.
After that, started right up on its own.
Runs perfectly now.
drofman

Post by drofman »

Cool, another B2 brought back to life.