A4LD Transmission Will not shift from 3rd to 4th or OD

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Fireman721

A4LD Transmission Will not shift from 3rd to 4th or OD

Post by Fireman721 »

Recently purchased a 1986 Bronco II XLT over the weekend. Picked it up real cheap because it would not shift from 2nd to 3rd or 4th. Pulled off the vacuum modulator and found the modulator full of fluid. Obviously replaced the modulator and now I have 3rd gear. I put some sea foam in it thinking the governor may be stuck and I am going to drive it a few days and see if that releases before replacing the governor and ultimately having someone rebuild the transmission. Has anyone else ever had this problem and/or have any suggestions on how to diagnose and fix what the issue may be. I also adjusted the shift linkage and it appears to be in good working order. Currently it shifts from 1 to 2 flawless and from 2 to 3 the rpms will get around 4,000 and I will let off the gas and it will shift up to 3rd but in third the rpms stay around 4000 at 45mph. Thank you in advance for any help or assistance you may be able to provide.
tekatlarge

Re: A4LD Transmission Will not shift from 3rd to 4th or OD

Post by tekatlarge »

Sounds to me ya got some clutches missing in action or just a ghost of.

Do a search on Google for A4LD problems.. That ought to keep ya reading for quite a while..
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Fireman721

Post by Fireman721 »

tekatlarge:

I've done quite a bit of research on it. I am thinking we will be pulling the transmission, buying a rebuild kit and paying a friend of mine $50 to rebuild it. What are your thoughts on the governor freeing up after driving it back and fourth to work a few days? Trying anything possible before pulling it...
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Not very likely.. If it sticks while setting how is it going to UN-stick itself if it is run? If it is dirt causing sticking the likelihood of it not sticking again is not real good. If it is rust or maybe some surface rust it will still in the oil and circulating..
Pull it, bring it up to speed with current service bulletins replace all worn parts and put it back in all clean and nice and rebuilt. :tongue2:
As for it unsticking and healing itself: :flipoff:

In all my years of wrenching I have NEVER seen a transmission "Heal itself" and be happy. Maybe some improvement but if something caused a problem it will return eventually..
:cool:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Fireman721

Post by Fireman721 »

Rightfully so tekatlarge. Thank you for your expertise. My plan of action for it is to pull the governor and clean it real well, replace anything needing replaced on it and then start diagnosing the solenoid. I am still a bit confused on this solenoid however. I have the 1986 A4LD and from what I read there is only one TCC Solenoid. If this is the case, could it going bad cause my no 3-4 shift? I posted two pics (i think anyways) of the two electronic devices I found going into the transmission. Can anyone help confirm what each of these may be? I really appreciate your help on this. I will take lots of pics and post as I do all of the repairs.
Attachments
Possible Solenoid?
Possible Solenoid?
Not sure what this is.
Not sure what this is.
drofman

Post by drofman »

I think the bottom picture is the neutral safety swt. and the soleniod is for converter lock up only. I'm about 3 beers in so.........We have a tranny guy here that own a shop so maybe he can tell me I'm wrong and quit posting when I've been drinking. :beer: :D
Fireman721

Post by Fireman721 »

Lol. Fair enough. If that is the solenoid for the converter lock up would that affect my 3-4 shift? Everyone says with the 1986 a4ld that there is no 3-4 solenoid. If that is the case, what would cause no 3-4 shift and a high 2-3 (4750 rpm) besides the governor on the 2-3. I am lost on that whole 3-4 shift.
drofman

Post by drofman »

I don't claim to be a trans guys (auto) but a gov. to me would affect 1st to 2nd also. Again, my advise is free so take it for what it is worth. Sounds like you need to get it rebuilt.