1988 bronco ii oxygen sensor location

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
jgarza

1988 bronco ii oxygen sensor location

Post by jgarza »

Where are they located. My bronco starts up but then starts to low idle at 400,300,200,100 then back to 400. And does that when driving around. I've replace idle controll thing. I think it's the oxygen sensors.
jefe

Re: 1988 bronco ii oxygen sensor location

Post by jefe »

Doesn't sound like an oxygen sensor issue....but it's located passenger side exhaust pipe, just upstream from the cat....probably easier to see from the bottom side.

My BII had an issue where it didn't want to hold idle and would stall out until it got warm. I replaced IACV too with no luck. Turned out to be a temp sensor telling the engine it was about negative 40 below zero outside....so the engine was running really rich just guzzling gas.

My daily car had an issue like yours and turned out to be the brake booster, but it would only idle crazy when the brakes were applied. Thought it was the IACV on that car too.

They say you have to drive for a bit with a new IACV on to program it...but I'm not sure how true that is.
jgarza

Post by jgarza »

jefe wrote:Doesn't sound like an oxygen sensor issue....but it's located passenger side exhaust pipe, just upstream from the cat....probably easier to see from the bottom side.

My BII had an issue where it didn't want to hold idle and would stall out until it got warm. I replaced IACV too with no luck. Turned out to be a temp sensor telling the engine it was about negative 40 below zero outside....so the engine was running really rich just guzzling gas.

My daily car had an issue like yours and turned out to be the brake booster, but it would only idle crazy when the brakes were applied. Thought it was the IACV on that car too.

They say you have to drive for a bit with a new IACV on to program it...but I'm not sure how true that is.
I think I replaced the thermostat. I don't know if it's the same thing or not but I'll def check out the brake booster. Where is it located. Can u give me more details? I've had the iacv for like 2 months now so I don't think it's true
jefe

Post by jefe »

Yea, it's not the thermostat that I replaced. It was called Air Charge Temp Sensor. About $20 and located on the upper intake manifold.

I'm guessing it's not brake booster because you said it idles up and down when driving around.

Ya might have to go get it diagnosed.
jgarza

Post by jgarza »

jefe wrote:Yea, it's not the thermostat that I replaced. It was called Air Charge Temp Sensor. About $20 and located on the upper intake manifold.

I'm guessing it's not brake booster because you said it idles up and down when driving around.

Ya might have to go get it diagnosed.

I hope I get an answer. It chugs all my gas horribly fast. I just want it fixed
jefe

Post by jefe »

That sounds pretty close to what that Air Charge Temp Sensor was doing for me.

I was trying to pass smog and was told the BII was running crazy rich, basically guzzling gas like you're saying. My fluctuating idle would usually go away after it warmed up though.

Anyways, for $20, it might be worth a shot.
jgarza

Post by jgarza »

jefe wrote:That sounds pretty close to what that Air Charge Temp Sensor was doing for me.

I was trying to pass smog and was told the BII was running crazy rich, basically guzzling gas like you're saying. My fluctuating idle would usually go away after it warmed up though.

Anyways, for $20, it might be worth a shot.

Okay I wanna give that a try. Where is the part located. Is there a guide on how to replace it. Can I get the part at autozone or something?
drofman

Post by drofman »

might want to check the fuel regulator Pull the hose off and see if it has gas on the vacuum side. just throwing stuff at you
jgarza

Post by jgarza »

drofman wrote:might want to check the fuel regulator Pull the hose off and see if it has gas on the vacuum side. just throwing stuff at you

Ok how do I do that. I know some about cars but not much. A guide would be appreciated.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

jgarza wrote:
Ok how do I do that. I know some about cars but not much. A guide would be appreciated.
I really hate to say this, however it needs to be said. :wtf: If you intend to do your own work on a vehicle you need to get a basic manual or electronic access to a repair manual. :idea:

Where do I get this "Holy grail of a repair book" on my rig you ask? I can not afford a book! :confused:

Here is your first piece of usable free information! :D

If you check with your local library they may be like a lot of libraries are this day. That is they offer electronic database access and such and access to some include a online Chilton manual access for NO CHARGE. All you have to do is get a library card..
One more thing. The cost of a manual if you buy it in a auto parts store is much less than the price for a tank of fuel. :beer: :beer: :beer:

This is your choice, But I highly recommend you get a book. at least with a book you can ask more informative questions like why do I have a failure code blah blah blah.. :rolleyes:

Good luck, As a beginner you will need a lot. :cool:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast