Blown head gasket already....

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
jefe

Blown head gasket already....

Post by jefe »

So bummed right now.

Test driving the BII last week trying to diagnose some transmission problems when a delayed gear shift got the rpms just above 4000 and then, pop, I feel the BII change and I see smoke and liquid in the rear view mirror. Cars honking. Pull over and coolant leaking everywhere. Limp it home and find one of the heater core coolant hoses split wide open and spewed coolant everywhere.

Thinking it was just an old hose, I replace it today and start filling up the radiator. After initial fill up, I start the engine with the radiator cap in the half open state. But before the engine even heats up, running for less than 5 minutes, coolant comes spewing from the top of the radiator. And then I notice water coming from the exhaust pipe.

Guess I should go get a block test kit to be sure......but.....(sigh)
drofman

Re: Blown head gasket already....

Post by drofman »

Bummer, I have a block tester if you want to borrow it.
jefe

Post by jefe »

Thanks drofman...I appreciate the offer....probably easier for me to pick up my own though since you live so far south.

I'll post the results after I do....but I'm pretty sure I already know the outcome.
jefe

Post by jefe »

Block test has tested negative thank god.......now to diagnose what's going on...although I have run it again and it hasn't been spewing coolant everywhere...but I haven't run it with the radiator cap on yet so that will be next I guess.
drofman

Post by drofman »

That's good. Did you change your T-stat when you did all that work?. Went on a 4X4 trip to Big Bear this weekend and haven't been here. We winch a H2 off a log and the guy said his g-friend was driving. I'll download the pics when I get time. When you get all the bugs out we have to go out. The B2 down right now but the F150 still works.