Any east tn members?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
bigmelton

Any east tn members?

Post by bigmelton »

My name is Ryan and I drive a 84 bronco 2 5 speed. Its in really good shape but the hubs dont lock and the pinion is loose. Wanted to see if anybody lives out my way. I live in Maryville, Tn.
Attachments
imagejpeg_2_7.jpg
jefe

Re: Any east tn members?

Post by jefe »

Well, I used to...lived in Johnson City and Bristol back in the day......
bigmelton

Post by bigmelton »

Thats cool. Do you still have a b2?
jefe

Post by jefe »

My wife used to have a BII back in the day there, a very long time ago before I met her....we moved out to CA and I found another BII as sort of a suprise....so it's been my little project car for the past couple years.

Having some transmission problems right now though, and the other day I blew a heater core hose out and coolant went flying everywhere. Fun times.
bigmelton

Post by bigmelton »

That sounds like fun. I have a question. My hubs on my dana 28 wont lock. They are manual. I took the hub apart and it seems like the plastic piece that the free/lock switch screws to is too big. The piece that the axle shaft sits in cant slide up into the hub where its splined to lock. I cant find a picture of all the parts that is inside the hub anywhere. If you can help me that would be appreciated.
jefe

Post by jefe »

I've got a repair manual at home I can look through to see if it has a photo or something. I'll do my best to remember to do that.
drofman

Post by drofman »

Will this help?
Attachments
P8070059.JPG
P8070060.JPG
bigmelton

Post by bigmelton »

Thanks for the pics but I have seen them before. It shows what is on the spindle but doesn't show what is inside the hub.
jefe

Post by jefe »

I keep forgetting....writing myself a note right now so I can look when I get home tonight.
bigmelton

Post by bigmelton »

Ok thanks. I just want make sure my hub has all the right parts.
jefe

Post by jefe »

hmmm. Not sure if I have anything more than Drofman did.

The first page is identical to Drofman's but it draws a bracket around certain pieces/parts labeling them as the manual locking hub.
hub_01.JPG
Second page, photo at bottom is just a close up exploded view of that same thing.
hub_02.jpg
The third page mentions removing the outer lock ring to access the internal parts, the spring and clutch gear.
hub_03.jpg
My manual is huge too, not sure why they wouldn't have an exploded view of just those parts.

Anyways, hope this helps some.
bigmelton

Post by bigmelton »

Thanks everyone who tried to help, but I figured it out. My hubs now lock and I have 4x4.
jefe

Post by jefe »

What was the solution? For future reference of anyone who might search the topic...
bigmelton

Post by bigmelton »

When I thought I was tearing it all the way down, I wasn't. The splined piece at the very top was stuck. I was able to knock them loose and now they slide and lock. Stupid me.