trouble shooting

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Jbots

trouble shooting

Post by Jbots »

hey guys just picked up my bronco 2 from packwood really excited to buy it being that it was my grandparents and i found the people that owned it and picked it up. cruising down the road the next day and the truck stops, so i tried kicking it into 3 for a jump start but it died again, i coasted to a stop and waited a few minutes, after that it started fine, but at the light i went to go and it died on me just like before. Can anyone help me solve this problem, im thinking the inertia switch because many broncos have this problem, fuel pumps are fine, and i have full power. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
drofman

Re: trouble shooting

Post by drofman »

If it was the inertia switch, it would be dead. But sometimes the connection corroded. Do a search on in tank fuel pump and see if that may be your problem. You'll have to see if it's a fuel or spark problem. You didn't say what year it was and 88 and below had 2 pumps. except the 2.8L. Next time it dies take a can or WD40 or Carb cleaner and spary it into the intake and see if it will run on the spary can and that will tell you if you have a fuel problem. When you do a search you will see that the B2 has a problem with in tank fuel pump. Also, the fuel filter may be plugging up.
Jbots

Post by Jbots »

Okay thanks it is an 88 by the way, so should i just change the fuel filter and go from there? Because it starts up fine now So i know its nothing big
Jbots

Post by Jbots »

And i can hear the pump when you turn the ignition key before you start it to
drofman

Post by drofman »

Go ahead and change the filter. What happens to the tank pump is the rubber hose from pump to pipe goes bad, the pump will work just won't supply the high pressure pump. Again make sure it's a fuel problem. Did you do a search?
Jbots

Post by Jbots »

Yeah and a lot of people said it was their inertia switch so thats the direction i was going with it
kirkland2887

Post by kirkland2887 »

You could also have a relay going bad. check the ones that are around the brake booster
Jbots

Post by Jbots »

I believe its the icm
drofman

Post by drofman »

Relay by the Brake booster? I believe the fuel relay is by the starter mag swt.
Jbots

Post by Jbots »

Ignition control module, it bolts onto the distributor and i just had it tested and it failed, bew one was like 40 bucks
drofman

Post by drofman »

TFI is what I call it. That's why I wanted to know if it was fuel or spark. Glag you got it fixed. Good job.
tickturd

Post by tickturd »

I had the same problem, it ended up being a plugged fuel filter
Jbots

Post by Jbots »

Thanks but tonight it just died on me dropping my grlfriend off, dont know what the problem is im wondering if the icm is getting to hot then shutting off, which means id have to check the coil and distributor, but i have a fuel filter for it to, anymore imput from you guys would be greatly appreciated.
drofman

Post by drofman »

You HAVE to see if it's a fuel or spark problem then go from there.
Jbots

Post by Jbots »

It was the inertia switch ha